Top 10 most popular mass market collectible cars of all time (I need your help!)

Guest ClassicSam

Guest ClassicSam

Ladies and gentlemen... let me explain:

I'm a photographer, mostly of weddings, in Charleston SC. (Classic Essence Photography is the business name if you want to look it up) Every once in a while I try to branch out and try new projects. My last one was beautiful musical instruments. My new one is (hopefully) beautiful classic cars. I'd like to do a series of the most iconic/popular/desirable classic cars of all time. I know the 10 I ultimately choose won't be definitive but I'd like some input from you about which cars I should look for to shoot. So I've come to what I believe is the largest classic car forum on the net to ask you smart people. Here's what I've come up with so far based on my own paltry knowledge and searching through the interwebs (in no particular order):

1980 Pontiac Trans Am

1957 Chevy Bel Air

???? Chevy Corvette (which year should I aim for?)

???? Porsche 911 (need a year on this one too)

1969 Dodge Charger (with blower?)

1969 Chevy Camaro SS

1965-1968 Mustang

1973 Super Beetle

Ferrari Dino?

An Austin Healy perhaps?

I'd love your input and suggestions. Here's my completely arbitrary criteria: Cars made between 1950-1980. Relatively easy to track one down. Has broad appeal and is recognizable to most classic car enthusiasts. I'm open to doing more than 10, but I'd like to start with that number and if all goes well and I'm enjoying it, I'll do more.

And I'm not trying to start a magnificent brawl/flame war, but I recognize that might be inevitable. :) Thank you in advance for any help and guidance!

Edited by ClassicSam
suggested change in thread (see edit history)

I'd consider the Mercedes-Benz 300SL "Gullwing" a perfect fit for your list. Everyone knows that car, they are surprisingly easy to locate, every Benz club has a member or four who own one, and they certainly are iconic. As for Corvette I'd say the '63 and I'd pick a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 "Daytona" over a Dino. Maybe a '60's Lincoln Continental convertible and a '57-59 Cadillac. The thing is some cars on this list and in this age range are seen ad nauseum in everything from posters, to model cars to car wax ads so depending upon your eventual use you may want to dig a little deeper and find more of a niche as you will draw a specific audience of enthusiasts. I am a fan and owner of Classic Mercedes-Benz but I wouldn't be terribly interested in much of anything with a Gullwing on it simply because it's so commonly seen and used for ads/photography because it is so iconic.

You could focus on only European roadsters, Speedsters, 4-door cabriolets, rear engined cars, etc. If this is simply for your own pleasure then forgive my suggestions, you will have a great time photographing these cars whatever you choose. Please share the finished pics with us when you complete the gig, I'd love to see them.

Guest ClassicSam

Thanks for the suggestions Marrs! I'll put these on the master list and definitely consider them. I appreciate your insights.

Guest ClassicSam

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. With further consideration, I guess I'm shooting for more mass market appeal than most serious collectors are into. How might you edit my criteria?

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. With further consideration, I guess I'm shooting for more mass market appeal than most serious collectors are into. How might you edit my criteria?
Do not refer to your list as "iconic classic cars". They are just popular mass market collectible cars

Guest ClassicSam
Do not refer to your list as "iconic classic cars". They are just popular mass market collectible cars

Fair enough. My apologies for not understanding the jargon and conventions.

Here's what I've come up with so far based on my own paltry knowledge and searching through the interwebs (in no particular order):

1980 Pontiac Trans Am

1957 Chevy Bel Air

???? Chevy Corvette (which year should I aim for?)

???? Porsche 911 (need a year on this one too)

1969 Dodge Charger (with blower?)

1969 Chevy Camaro SS

1965-1968 Mustang

1973 Super Beetle

Ferrari Dino?

An Austin Healy perhaps?

I think maybe you should define "mass market" to further refine your criteria. For me that sounds like cars that sold in the many thousands (at least) to people who no one would categorize as wealthy. On that note a Ferrari (even a Dino, which technically was never officially a Ferrari by title) or a Porsche barely qualify, making them tough calls as being "most popular". Even Cadillacs and high-end Buicks were pretty far upmarket to be considered "mass market". A more plebeian list of cars that are popular despite their humble beginnings might read like this:

1. 1964.5 Ford Mustang

2. 1957 Chevy BelAir hardtop/convertible/Nomad.

3. 1964 Pontiac GTO.

4. 1959 and up Morris Mini.

5. 1932 Ford V8 (deuce) Coupe.

6. 1969 Chevy Camaro Z28.

7. 1968/9 Dodge Charger.

8. All VW Beetles.

9. 1962-1974 MGB.

10. All brass-era Ford Model Ts.

Arguments could be made for 1955 Chevy, Austin-Healy Bugeye Sprite, 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, 1970/71 Plymouth Hemicuda, 1977 Pontiac Trans-Am (black only, guess why! :rolleyes:), 1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, Morris Minor, and even Mazda Miata. All of this without delving into cars that you really had to be wealthy to buy when they were new.

If that's not what you have in mind, please redefine your criteria more specifically).

Guest cinco

Don't forget the Jag XK120... or the E-Type. Or the Citroen DS. And if you're just shooting for significance and popularity without the prestige, don't forget the Alfa Spider, BMW 2002, and Datsun 240Z. The DeLorean might just squeak in there somewhere too.

Guest Skyking

Cars I would pick are cars you just don't see, whether they were massed produced or not............

1959 Dodge Royal Lancer convertible, black/red/white

1957 De Soto Adventurer Convertible

1958 Ford Fairlane 2Dr. HT

1961 Plymouth Fury convertible

Sam, good luck with your project. I will say it might be a bit of a challenge to not end up with a grouping that screams cheap, cliche "classic car calendar" - the ones most of us here get from well meaning friends and relatives every year and likely toss after a few months of hiding in a paper pile..

You say your looking for "mass appeal" well, as an artist with some interest in cars (assume you would not pursue a project otherwise) if I were you I would approach the project that way - and trust your instincts. Select cars that "speak to you" rather than a model that has "mass appeal" - and you might end up with a much more interesting grouping. A good eye for design seems to trump extensice knowledge of collector car facts so I would not let inexperience stop me.

I might be inclined to ignore classes many of us pay attention to such as "Full Classics" etc. but maybe pursue a theme - "Elegance", "Sporting" "obscure" or "What you might see at a cuise night" which might be more interesting than boxing yourself into a particular era. I would pay as much attention to colors and setting as models themselves.

Automotive art is very popular - if it is unique, you will probably do fine commercially speaking. Good luck on your project - will be interesting to see what you do in terms of choices.

Guest ClassicSam
You have a nice list but Cars with fins ....1959 Cadillac cpe deville, Dodge Superbird, 1948 Buick Convertible, 1957 Fury, 1965 Riviera Gran Sport

Good luck with your lists ...............paul

Fins... I had not considered them, but I will now. Thanks!

Guest ClassicSam
I think maybe you should define "mass market" to further refine your criteria. For me that sounds like cars that sold in the many thousands (at least) to people who no one would categorize as wealthy. On that note a Ferrari (even a Dino, which technically was never officially a Ferrari by title) or a Porsche barely qualify, making them tough calls as being "most popular". Even Cadillacs and high-end Buicks were pretty far upmarket to be considered "mass market". A more plebeian list of cars that are popular despite their humble beginnings might read like this:

1. 1964.5 Ford Mustang

3. 1964 Pontiac GTO.

7. 1968/9 Dodge Charger.

8. All VW Beetles.

9. 1962-1974 MGB.

Arguments could be made for 1955 Chevy, Austin-Healy Bugeye Sprite, 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, 1970/71 Plymouth Hemicuda, 1977 Pontiac Trans-Am (black only, guess why! :rolleyes:), 1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, Morris Minor, and even Mazda Miata. All of this without delving into cars that you really had to be wealthy to buy when they were new.

If that's not what you have in mind, please redefine your criteria more specifically).

Thanks for the thoughtful and extensive reply Dave. All the cars so far suggested have been great, but I think you all have helped the most with criteria refining. I thought I had this mostly worked out in my head but it seems I was a bit out of my depth. I may need to just shoot them all. :) Thanks again!

Guest ClassicSam
Sam, good luck with your project. I will say it might be a bit of a challenge to not end up with a grouping that screams cheap, cliche "classic car calendar" - the ones most of us here get from well meaning friends and relatives every year and likely toss after a few months of hiding in a paper pile..

You say your looking for "mass appeal" well, as an artist with some interest in cars (assume you would not pursue a project otherwise) if I were you I would approach the project that way - and trust your instincts. Select cars that "speak to you" rather than a model that has "mass appeal" - and you might end up with a much more interesting grouping. A good eye for design seems to trump extensice knowledge of collector car facts so I would not let inexperience stop me.

I might be inclined to ignore classes many of us pay attention to such as "Full Classics" etc. but maybe pursue a theme - "Elegance", "Sporting" "obscure" or "What you might see at a cuise night" which might be more interesting than boxing yourself into a particular era. I would pay as much attention to colors and setting as models themselves.

Automotive art is very popular - if it is unique, you will probably do fine commercially speaking. Good luck on your project - will be interesting to see what you do in terms of choices.

I talked to a good friend last night about this project (he's kind of a mentor of sorts for me) and he suggested, from a strictly commercial point of view, choosing cars that people in the Baby Boomer generation either had or desperately wanted to have in their youth. I definitely don't want to come off as cheap, cliche "classic car calendar" which is while I'll stick to my unique angle for the series. The genesis of the idea came to me a few years ago when I found an old mustang and ended up taking a photo of it with my phone from an angle I'd never seen before and it looked pretty amazing. To me anyway, hopefully others will agree. :)

All good advice Steve, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

ClassicSam,

We can all debate the merits of different cars for your list for years. Asked for a top 10 list, most of the members here will have a different list. The easiest way to do this project is for you to attend antique car shows in the area and talk to owners of the cars that you see that interest you as potential subjects for your photos. By numbers of cars represented at the shows you will get some idea of the level of interest in different cars, although there are some regional differences. I am sure you will find plenty of cars that interest you that have owners who will be willing to work with you to set up photos sessions later.

1. 1964.5 Ford Mustang

3. 1964 Pontiac GTO.

7. 1968/9 Dodge Charger.

8. All VW Beetles.

9. 1962-1974 MGB.

iage

I think Dave's list is the most accurate ( so much so I decide not to add a list ) with what the author of the thread is looking for. The confusion lies with the terminology. All the cars on Dave's list are antique vehicles not classic vehicles, a mistake many many people make and one no one seems to want to correct.

Cars I would pick are cars you just don't see, whether they were massed produced or not............

1959 Dodge Royal Lancer convertible, black/red/white

1957 De Soto Adventurer Convertible

1958 Ford Fairlane 2Dr. HT

1961 Plymouth Fury convertible

The criteria was "most popular", not cars you don't see anymore (and there may be a reason for that).

Guest Skyking
The criteria was "most popular", not cars you don't see anymore (and there may be a reason for that).

I understand what it said, but how many times do you pick up anything with photographs and see the same cars, time and time again. I think it's just a little repetitious.

A few more models that should be added to your list:

1955 through 1957 Ford full size models with superchargers and multiple-carburetors.

1955 through 1957 T-Birds, especially supercharged and multi-carbureted models.

1957 through 1959 Ford Skyliner Retractables

Studebaker Avanti's with additional emphasis on supercharged models.

I think it would be impossible to select only 10 if you want to include anything newer than 1970, or for that matter even 1960.

Another couple of iconic car from the mid 50's up to 1960 was the 1956 and 1957 Continental MK II's and 1957 through 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Broughams. The 1959 and 1960 models had bodies built by Pininfarina in Italy.

I understand what it said, but how many times do you pick up anything with photographs and see the same cars, time and time again. I think it's just a little repetitious.

I agree. The gull wing Mercedes has been photographed quite a bit. Personally, I would look for the more obscure automotive works of art.

Guest ClassicSam

More good thoughts and advice guys, thanks!

I think what I'll probably do is compile a list of 20-25 different vehicles that have been suggested here and put the word out in my local area that I'm looking for some to photograph. I know I won't be able to find them all, so once I get to 10 I'll assess where I'm at. Thanks again for your input, it really helped me clarify what I'm after and gave me some great autos that I wouldn't have considered. I'll post photos here as I get them and further explain my project as it progresses.

Guest bkazmer

"of all time" doesn't start at 1950

in my opinion, if you go mass market, late model, you will end up with a set of cars that is easy to find, already much photographed- in short, what you find on the freebie calendar at Autozone. But perhaps more marketable because of that. 57 chevy, 65 mustang, 55-7 tbird, corvette stingray, etc

Guest 37Packard

You're never going to get everyone on this site to agree on the best 10/top 10/greatest 10 all time cars. Why not go to some shows and cruises in your area and take a lot of pics and then pick out the 10 that you like the best? Good luck....

As you are new to the field of old cars you may not be aware that all the most popular cars have been photographed literally millions of times, and featured in magazines, calendars etc thousands of times. Anything you do of the "Top 10 most popular cars" will be incredibly hacky or incredibly arty and in either case, of almost no interest.

That is being very blunt and I do not say this to be offensive but to save you from a lot of work for nothing.

You may want to be more creative, or ask a new question regarding what theme old car fans would like to see.

Or, visit a few car shows and see which cars you find the most appealing or striking. Your own taste will lead you to a more interesting selection than any "top 10" list.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
As you are new to the field of old cars you may not be aware that all the most popular cars have been photographed literally millions of times, and featured in magazines, calendars etc thousands of times. Anything you do of the "Top 10 most popular cars" will be incredibly hacky or incredibly arty and in either case, of almost no interest.

That's exactly what I said in my post. I pass on calenders with these boring cars. It's no different than going to cruise nights and hearing the same songs played by the so-called DJ's time and time again. I think this could be a leaning curve for ClassicSam. If you don't complain, know body knows.

Guest Bill Miller

If you ask a hundred people you are going to get a hundred different lists. I like Dave@Moon's selections but I would delete the Mini's. Personally my list would include any of the 55-56 Corvettes, the mid-50's Continental (later Lincoln Continental) Mark II, the Studebaker Avanti R-2, 59 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, an early 60's Austin Healey 3000, the 54 Buick Skylark convertible, the 55-56 Thunderbird (for some reason I just don't like the '57), the 64 Pontiac GTO, and your 69 Camaro SS in your original list. However, my favorite on the list would be the Series I Jaguar E-Type, which to my eye is the most beautiful sculpture ever placed on an automotive chassis. Hard to get running right with the 3 carbs, but they looked great sitting in the driveway, especially the OTC (roadster). You mentioned the Ferrari Dino, but it was never really a mass production car, more of a limited production vehicle. If you are going to include limited production prancing horse cars, instead choose the Ferrari 250 PF Coupe or the 275 GTB, both much prettier than the Dino, not to mention hugely more powerful. In the same vein, for a big heavy sedan you can't find a better proportioned design than the standard steel factory body on the 56-62 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I and II, which looks even better on the Bentley S-1 and 2 chassis because of the rounded grill. That design in large part brought about the end of most coachbuilding because well-heeled customers could buy a ready-made car off the showroom floor that looked great, cost much less, and was more substantially constructed than anything the custom body builders could put together. The Porsche 911 you mention is a great choice too. I would go with one of the early years, before wide bodies and whale-tails, but you might also consider the late 50's 356 "bathtub" Porsche as an alternative.

Edited by Bill Miller (see edit history)

Guest Classic50s

Mabe a break down into sub categories would help.

Fins:

1958 Desoto

1959 Cadillac

1959 Buick

1959 Chrysler

1949 Cadillac

Chrome:

1958 GM (any brand but Buick takes the cake for most brightwork of any car of any era. Love or hate it--- I LOVE the 58 Buicks!

1955-1958 Buick Cadillac and Oldsmobile (Pontiac would fit the bill of tons of brightwork as well)

Muscle:

1969 Charger

1966 Riviera

1963 Grand Prix

1970 Road Runner

1968 Shelby GT 500

Unique Style

1955-1958 Packard

1951-54 Hudson

1950-1957 Studebaker

1950-1951 Ford

Any Edsel

Corvette

Thunderbird

Just to give you some inspiration. ;)

You should change the "top ten most popular cars of all time". If you are going to keep "of all time' it seems like the Model T with over three hundred thousand still around would have to be in there even if it is not a "Classic".

Yes, and the number one car is the VW Beetle at 21,529,464, and I would bet well over 300,000 still around.

If it was my project I would begin with outstanding designs from the '50's and try to include 1 or 2 from each manufacturer. I would also include at least 1 station wagon and 1 pickup truck. My list will probably come closer to 20 vehicles but let's see.

Cadillac: 1956 Series 62 convertible or 2 door hardtop.

Buick: '51 Super or Roadmaster station wagon, '59 convertible or 2-door hardtop

Oldsmobile: '53 Fiesta or 98 convertible. '57 98 convertible

Pontiac: '57 Bonneville and '57 Safari wagon

Chevrolet: '55 2nd Edition-56-57 pickup, '58 Impala convertible

GMC: '55-57 Suburban pickup

Ford: '56 Sunliner and '59 Square-Bird

Mercury: '53 2-door hardtop, '54 station wagon

Lincoln: '55 convertible

Continental: '56-57 Mark II

Chrysler: '57-'59 300 convertible or hardtop coupe

DeSoto: '57 Adventurer

Looks like I came up with 22 which far exceeds your target. Then just to make it a really good portrayal of the '50's I would add a full-size Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Good luck with your project.

Guest Fordfarmallfan

How about some trucks in there too? Here are some thoughts, in no particular order, as for the corvette definitely either a 63 split window or 74 big block

1. 1967-72 c10's

2. 1966 f100/f250

3. 49 f1

4. 1964 dodge

5. 47 gmc

these are all just suggestions and in no order. If you aren't sure because they are trucks then look up some pics of them and see how classic they look. A new market nowadays is a rustic look if you want to be different, most calendars don't have rusty cars. Nostalgia right there...

Guest bkazmer
If it was my project I would begin with outstanding designs from the '50's and try to include 1 or 2 from each manufacturer.

no love for the independents?

Studebaker Loewy coupe

Packard Caribbean (53 and 56)

Hudson Hornet with twin H

Hudson Italia

Kaiser Darrin

Kaiser Dragon

Nash Airflyte

Rambler Rebel

Muntz Jet

Dual Ghia

If it was my project I would begin with outstanding designs from the '50's and try to include 1 or 2 from each manufacturer.

Studebaker Loewy coupe

Hudson Italia

Kaiser Darrin

Kaiser Dragon

Nash Airflyte

Rambler Rebel

Muntz Jet

Dual Ghia

This is a nice list, however, some of these the photographer may not find locally to his home.

Studebaker Loewy coupe

Hudson Italia

Kaiser Darrin

Kaiser Dragon

Nash Airflyte

Rambler Rebel

Muntz Jet

Dual Ghia

Sorry, bkazner, something happened to the tail end of my list. If you noticed I said I came up with 22 vehicles and there are only 19 on the list. I do like independents, especially Packards. The names that got lost somehow were a '53 Studebaker coupe, a 53 Packard Caribbean, and a '52-54 Nash Ambassador, which is an airflyte if I remember correctly. Actually I might include all Packards and a Studebaker Conestoga wagon. I also for some reason failed to mention a '58 Edsel Citation. I stuck to the '50's because to me that is the outstanding decade when styling and engineering jumped by leaps and bounds and each year most cars were at least slightly different from the year before. That said I guess I admire the true classics, especially from the '30's and '40's more than any other type of car. Saturday I saw a '49 75 Series Cadillac that was the last Cadillac with the boxy styling. It had more appeal to me than any other car at the show; not because it was the prettiest but because it was a perfect of an example of a car with class. Beginning with the '60's I would make a totally new list because the '50's are worthy of being a stand-alone decade.