Hudson Transmission 1937 - 39

Guest Roosenburg

Guest Roosenburg

Looking to buy a gearbox in good condition, whole or in parts, for 1937 to 39 Hudson 8 cylinder

USA or Europe is of interest.

Guest Roosenburg

Thanks, followed your advice and posted it on the Hudson thread, I am new here. I am a member f HET but have had no luck so far. It is for my Railton which is at present in The Netherlands, I use it to rally in Europe, but have lost second gear in the Alps, unfortunately fir the second time, and it is very hard to find the parts over there. I will therefore have to absorb the shipping.

This is a long shot, but if you just need replacement parts for the transmission (like the gear) you might try these people. They bought out an old Hudson dealership on the West Coast of the U.S. several years ago and there are lots of brand new parts, some of them pre-war. I think they still have them. It's best if you can come up with the original Hudson part number when contacting them. (You can find parts books online at the Hudson club website if you don't have a parts book yourself.) Their name is Eshelman and you can find their website at Eshelman Molding & Casting, Quality reproduction classic auto parts. . There is a reply form at the site and you can use that to contact them. If you lost second gear twice, there may be something else wrong with the transmission innards. You might want to look carefully for any other broken parts, and then ask if they too are still available when you contact the Eshelmans.

Guest Roosenburg
This is a long shot, but if you just need replacement parts for the transmission (like the gear) you might try these people. They bought out an old Hudson dealership on the West Coast of the U.S. several years ago and there are lots of brand new parts, some of them pre-war. I think they still have them. It's best if you can come up with the original Hudson part number when contacting them. (You can find parts books online at the Hudson club website if you don't have a parts book yourself.) Their name is Eshelman and you can find their website at Eshelman Molding & Casting, Quality reproduction classic auto parts. . There is a reply form at the site and you can use that to contact them. If you lost second gear twice, there may be something else wrong with the transmission innards. You might want to look carefully for any other broken parts, and then ask if they too are still available when you contact the Eshelmans.

Thanks very much, will try. I will ask my man in The Netherlands who is taking the gearbox apart for part numbers. The first time it happened, as no oil was put in the transmission after taking the clutch off. It still drove for a good 500 miles, but then a bearing broke which screwed up second gear. The second time I fear it may have been from a pre 1936 gearbox, which does not work I believe.

If you're looking for a complete transmission a little closer to home than the U.S., you might try the Svenska Hudsonklubben in Sweden. Quite a number of Hudsons were shipped "KD" to an assembly plant in Sweden before WWII, so there are a fair number of Hudsons there, and possibly an accumulation of parts too. Startsida - www.hudsonsweden.org This too is a long shot, for if they advertise parts, they would probably want to keep them for "Klubben" members and not outsiders. But it might be worth an inquiry.