Hupmobile Model 20 -Encore

1910Hupp

Further to my recent post on the rebuild of my engine following stripping of the magneto drive on the camshaft due to some shoddy previous work which necessitated the making of a new camshaft. Everything went back in nicely and for a short time things where great then I developed a knocking noise intermittently at idle -out came the engine/ gearbox and back to the engine reconditioner. Today I got the verdict.

Apparrently the engine is fine but I have a huge amount of wear on the gearbox shaft with the sliding gears . There is apparrently an 1/8 inch wear on the shaft and another 1/8 the bronze bushing it runs in. The resulting slop is causing the whole shaft to bounce up and down and resulting in tooth to tooth contact on the cogs being about only 1/3 of a tooth depth at times

I think an easy fix -Hopefully will get to the shop in a few days to see it for myself -Karl

It's a simple gearbox with some expensive to replace bushings. I thought my transmission was OK, although it did seem to be more difficult to correctly shift since I bought it 38 years ago....so took it apart and found wear in all the bushings....but the worst were the two in the back end, one large that the gear runs in and one small in the gear itself for the shaft...took it to a machine shop run by a friend, and when I went to pick up, he looked at the bill and said "David, I just don't feel right charging you this..." It was $1600, but I told him if that's what it is, we'll do it, he said no, how about $800....he was very kind...

Saw a 1910 Hupp yesterday with a lightened flywheel and starter added, and a Ruxtell rear end, it was made for driving! Think he said he took 12 pounds or so off the flywheel, claimed it slowed the engine down quicker to make it easier to shift...

David I'm kicking myself that I didn't have a really good look at the gearbox when we had everything out to do the camshaft -would have saved a lot of messing around and given the stuff we found in the engine the quality of the gearbox restoration was always going to be suspect . When I think about it the gearbox has always not quite been right (which in my inexperience I have just attributed to normal for a 1910 car) . The shop has suggested to me that we are looking at about $500 to put things right which is ok -Karl