Economical Transport?

rockitdoc

Hi, I need to get my Dad's 1941 Lincoln Continental from Aberdeen, NC to Fort Collins, CO by the most economical/responsible means possible. Does anyone have any recommendations? Car is not a concours restoration and does not need to be in covered trailer, but I would prefer she not be shuffled from trailer to trailer on the way. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Scott

I ship a lot of cars and different carriers have different rates depending on where you're going. Some routes are simply more common and therefore more economical for them. I would encourage you to call several carriers and brokers and get some rates. The difference between a carrier and a broker is that the carrier actually owns and operates the trucks (Passport, InterCity Lines, Reliable, Thomas Sunday, etc.) while the brokers just post the shipment and let guys who own trucks bid on the job (like you see on TV). Brokers will almost always be cheapest, but you will get what you pay for in terms of equipment and competence. I've seen some wrecks out there that I wouldn't let haul my lawnmower. Carriers with their own rigs will typically have the highest quality equipment, the cheap guys, well, there's a reason they're cheap. You get what you pay for in transportation.

Also, you DO NOT want to ship a car like that on open transport. The extra few hundred bucks that enclosed transport costs are 100% worth it. On open transport, the car won't show up the way it looked when it left. We had an all-original 1967 Mustang shipped to the west coast, and the customer set up his own transport. Open carrier arrives with two guys who don't even speak English and use one customer car to jump start another customer car to get them off the trailer (yikes!). I try to talk the customer out of it, no dice. Loaded the car and told him there was no warranty and not to call me with problems, I'm washing my hands of it. He called 10 days later saying the car looked like it had been sandblasted and was covered with pockmarks. Gee, too bad about that 100% original paint that was HPOF-worthy, now the car needs an expensive repaint that'll make it just another garden-variety Mustang. No insurance company in the world will cover it, and I'm certainly not responsible. Enjoy your Mustang, which is now worth less than you paid for it and needs $5000 worth of paint.

But hey, he saved a few hundred bucks on shipping, so at least he's got that going for him...

I agree with Matt's post 100%. No, make that 200%. I always recommend that my buyers spend the extra money and go with one of the tried and true large carriers such as Passport, Intercity, Curves Ahead,Reliable, etc. I have never had problems with the larger companies but have had numerous problems and unnecessary headaches created by brokers and their truckers and/or non-brokered independents. The experience Matt describes with his Mustang is all too familiar and I could add several more similar stories if time and space allowed.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

I agree with Matt' and Motoringicon's posts, and could add several stories. If a problem does occur with a major carrier, at least you have recourse. A gentleman who bought one of my cars which had just finished a week-long tour of nearly a thousand miles, insisted that brokers owed him favors, and I agreed to have the car held in paid storage for a short time so he could make arrangements. The car sat four expensive months, and rode at least four or five different open trailers, taking another four months to cross the country - so obviously it sat at different brokers' outside lots. When it finally arrived, he called to tell me it was filthy, and drove so poorly that he could not keep it in one lane going down the road, and that I must have lied to him. I asked him to look under the car to se if one of "HIS" gypsy-carriers had tied it down by the tie-rods!!! Yup, you guessed it -- "S" shaped tie rods -- certainly not the way they were when I drove the Founders Tour, or when it was sold to him. There must have been other damage caused along the way, because I soon saw another ad, that he was selling what was a wonderful driver with a brand new convertible top.

You get what you pay for, and with what we invest in these cars, and how much they mean to us,....

Well, my Dad used to say "Penny-Wise and Pound-Foolish".

We just shipped a car from PA

to CA. The owner had contracted with a broker back in April and after the pickup date changed from May 15 to June 15 then to indefinite and after 3 quote increases he took our advice and had it shipped by a major carrier. We have used Intercity several times and can highly recommend them. They stay in contact, arrive when they say they will and take care of the cars they transport.