1930's Oregon Highway Magnet Truck

MarrsCars

I was visiting the Vista House observation tower in the Columbia River Gorge over the weekend with some folks from out of town and I saw this cool rig that was apparently made to pick up any loose metal debris from the roadways in the 1930's. This would make a lot of sense to have in use today, of course street sweepers can pick up all types of objects but one specifically equipped with a magnet would be useful.

post-83411-143142017449_thumb.jpg

The "loose metal debris" was usually from scrap wood being burned in fireplaces and boilers, the ashes were often thrown out in the street and the nails and such became quite a problem. I know many places had ordinances against it. What I don't know is why people threw them in the street. Was it because the rain would cement the ashes into a hard surface and be less dusty? Would have thought ashes would be more dust, anyone know?

Shoed Horses, Oxen, and horse drawn wagons, buggies, and equipment would also loose hardware on the road just about like a rusty old car does today, only worse. Nails also held the shoes on and often they would get lost in the mud. Dandy Dave!