Reproducing '91 ABS wheel speed sensors and the demand for them?

Labrat

It appears there are no more '91 Front ABS wheel speed sensors (the original part is GM3521274 and was also sold by Raybestos as part ABS53006900 anywhere except maybe a salvage yard. Even that is a problem as removal of these requires great care as they tend to bond them selves over the years. I believe there are 2 1991 Cadillac models and a 1991 Old Tornado that use the same sensors along with the 1991 Reatta so that is 4 unique vehicles using this part. That is a very limited market. I have been talking to a vendor who is looking at having it reproduced. It would require a 100 piece minimum to do. Cost would be about $125.00 each and that is a really rough estimate at this time. My question is, do you think the demand is there for this part and do you think posting this info on the Cadillac and Tornado Forums would be productive? I realize our '91 brake systems will work without the sensors but I like the idea of having ABS especially here in Fl. with its weather and less than capable Senior drivers( even though most keep to themselves in the left lane at 30 MPH under the speed limit). I would appreciate some feedback on this especially from some of the Members who stock and sell parts to other Forum members. Is this something you would be interested in stocking and retailing? Right now this project is in the research phase only. Thanks, Rick

• 4 months later...
Guest Tiggermark

Im in the uk we cant drive any car originally fitted with abs that is not working i am trying to get these made but i only need two . If i can get them for £60 would Any one buy them if they are good copies and working correctly . I have to have minimum of 100 units .

Guest Tiggermark

Maybe not sure yet waiting for them to get back to me . I just dont want to get lumbered with 98 sensors .

I have been trying to get replacements for weeks raybestos dont make them anymore .

Edited by Tiggermark (see edit history)

Ok after looking at a few pics and other things I see the only difference is the connector. So making the earlier ones work should be easy enough.

if they are just copper wire splice on the original connector.

If they are coaxial cable go to Radio Shack buy a coaxial end crimp it on. Then buy a adapter to change the connection to a two wire out and splice on the old end.

After either fix heat shrink the whole thing to ensure a water tight splice.

Does not seem like a huge deal to me as there are parts that can be adapted to work.

If I was going to have the part made I would have it made in a way that either end could be clipped into place this would not only fix the 91 issue but would ensure that it does not become an issue for the 88-90.

Guest Tiggermark

The sensor i have has a centre pin sticking out all of rockautos pic are flat aluminium barrels postage to here cost a fortune so i must be sure i want this car on the road but i cant use it legally with dud sensors

The sensor i have has a centre pin sticking out all of rockautos pic are flat aluminium barrels postage to here cost a fortune so i must be sure i want this car on the road but i cant use it legally with dud sensors

Have you tried cleaning the sensor and ring?

As far as the difference in the sensor design, it is just two ways of getting the job done. I prefer the covered sensor as I worry about the tip getting hit on the other, but I am still using them on my current project.

Guest Tiggermark

Everything is clean but one sensor is smashed i dug this car out of trees and weeds . It had stood for six years with the old petrol stuck a new battery on it and it fired up first time , drove it on the trailer with flat tyres so i figure it deserves to be given a new life . If i can fit those flat sensors i will buy them am i correct in thinking the 89 /90/ sensors will work then .really apreciate the feedback here .