Sign in to follow this  
MCHinson

My 1954 Buick Special

Yesterday, I drove the car about 125 miles from home to Fuquay-Varina NC for the Buzzard's Breath Region, 3rd Annual All Buzzy Tour. Today I drove a little bit over 100 miles. Two more days of driving planned followed by the trip home. The car is running fine. It is a joy to drive. If you have not tried AACA Touring, it is some of the best fun in the hobby!

I had previously noticed that the tailpipe was not original and it was positioned so that on hard bumps there was a bit of noise as the shock arm made contact with the tailpipe. Yesterday, I took it to a local muffler shop and had them replace the tailpipe with one bent to the original specifications. That eliminated that minor irritant. I also decided to order a new set of rear shock links because the rubber on the original shock links is in very poor condition.

Over the time since last November, I have continued making minor improvements to this car. I never did anything major enough that I thought I should update this discussion but now I figure I should post something else.

The first collector car that I attempted to purchase was a 1937 Buick Sedan. I was in my early 20's and would not have known what to do with it if I had been able to buy it. The owner of that car would not discuss selling it at any price. That car spent many years in the same back lot rusting away to almost nothing the last time I saw it.

I have always said that one day I would buy a 1937 Buick. I have just managed to arrange to buy a 1937 Buick Century Model 61 Sedan. Something needs to go. This 1954 Special is now at a friend's used car dealership for sale. If anyone here is interested please contact me. Selling the 1954 would make it much easier to fit my collector cars in the garage and would also help pay for part of the 1937 Century purchase.

Hopefully I will make another Buick lover happy by selling it. I am sure that Mr Earl will forgive me. I have posted an ad for it here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1954-buick-special-41d-four-door-379875.html

Hopefully I will get some better photos in the next few days. Since it is at my friend's dealership right now, so it may take me a little bit of time to get better photos up.

Matt, I think that pretty car would make about anyone happy. And I'm sure Mr. Earl will probably help find a new owner since he knows what good shape the car is in... good luck with both cars, the '54 and '37.