Phishing Alert----PayPal-based Scam Email

Harold

<!--cached-Thu, 11 Jul 2013 20:17:04 +0000-->I received an email this morning, supposedly from PayPal, saying that this was their second request for security information and that my account was 'restricted' until the issue was resolved. They even included a convenient link so I could log-in to fix the 'problem'. Even though the email was addressed to me by name (very unusual for phishing letters and somewhat distressing since a third party somehow connected the account name to my email address) and had excellent grammar (also rare), I suspected this thing wasn't legit.

After calling PayPal and forwarding the email to their spoof department, I got a reply indicating that the email was, in fact, bogus.

If anyone here receives a similar letter, don't do anything until you speak with PayPal by phone. DO NOT use the link because it will lead you down the path to having your identity stolen.

Harold

Whenever I log into my pay pal account or I get an email regarding anything to do with pay pal, I go into my ebay and go to pay pal from that link. Then I check to see if there are any alerts to deal with. Kind of a double security as you have to log into ebay before you log into pay pal. It's been working so far for me.

Guest bofusmosby

Yup, I've gotten quite a few of those emails over the years. I do just as Auburnseeker does, and enter Pay-Pal through my Ebay page.

It is good practice to NEVER click on links to Ebay, Paypal, your bank, the credit card company, etc. that you receive in email. NEVER. Darn near 100% of the time they are scam / phishing links put into bogus emails.

Instead, go directly to Ebay, Paypal, etc. and log in. Any official message they may have sent you will appear there for you to read. With your credit cards and your bank, ALWAYS call them at a number you know is good (look on the back of your credit card for that). Don't give your info out to anyone over the phone either. Ever.

It seems like common sense, but it's easy to fall into the trap. Be careful out there, folks!