Whitewall Width

Guest BJE

What would be the most appropriate whitewall width for a '39 Buick? Mine has 3 3/4 inch whitewalls and to me they look a little too wide for the era. In original Buick factory photos of the period they are narrower, maybe around 2 1/5 to 3 inches. Any ideas? Of course all black is also appropriate but I want to stick with white.

Guest RonJar
What would be the most appropriate whitewall width for a '39 Buick? Mine has 3 3/4 inch whitewalls and to me they look a little too wide for the era. In original Buick factory photos of the period they are narrower, maybe around 2 1/5 to 3 inches. Any ideas? Of course all black is also appropriate but I want to stick with white.

My 38 came with 4 1/4" white walls and they look just about right. I'm guessing the wider w.w. would look OK on a 39. I have no idea what original w.w. width was for pre-war. A matter of taste I guess.

My two cents .... RonJ

On 1941 Buick's with 16 inch wheels they call for 4" whitewalls, while 15 inch wheels call for 3 3/4". In my opinion the more the better.

BJE,

Re. the whitewall width on 1941 Buicks -

The attached two pictures are of a 51C (top up, 16" wheels) and a 71C (top down, 15" wheels). I scaled both pictures with a dial vernier caliper. Both cars have about 3¼" of exposed whitewall showing. Perhaps the 1941 Buick documentation (mentioned above) measures the whitewall width before the tire installation on the wheel.

Grandpa

post-52807-14314199963_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143141999639_thumb.jpg

BJE,

More on the whitewall width on 1941 Buicks -

(1) I should have mentioned in my #6 post (above) that I made my measurements vertically to reduce error.

(2) I have attached a picture of a 41 or 61 early production car with a 24" long rear fender ornament (later production cars used the 21" long ornament). Since the model of the car isn't known, I scaled the picture using the 24" ornament as a reference. This is a less precise method than in post #6. For the car pictured, I had a similar result of about 3¼" width for the whitewall.

Grandpa

post-52807-143141999658_thumb.jpg

BJE, My " Martin B-16's" measure 4.5" from the rim to the outside of the white part and the last half inch is raised a bit. Perfectly smooth on the white part and all the lettering is on the black portion. You can blow up my avatar, or check my album for a better look. Mike in Colorado

For what it's worth, this apparently original-equipment 7:00x15 double-whitewall U.S. Royal tire that still resided in the RH fenderwell of my former '40 66C Century Convertible when I owned it had a 3-inch whitewall on each side.

post-31331-143142001022_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I think that a whitewall around three inches is close to the factory photos. I think that a wider white than this, and certainly four inches and over looks more late twenties or early thirties than late thirties. I need to buy new tires because mine are getting very old and it makes me a bit nervous to drive it for fear of tire failure. I think that my tires which have a 3 3/4" whitewall (measured from the edge of the rim outward) look a little too wide compared to factory photos. I am more concerned with correctness than appearance. What really bothers me is seeing wide whites on a car such as a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud which clearly had one to two inch white walls from the factory.

post-41418-1431420012_thumb.jpg