Burning Smell

Finfan1

Last night I went in my garage 30 min. after I had the Reatta out for the night and it smelled like something was burning. I opened the hood but couldn't tell where it was coming from. I checked all the fluids and they look good. Today I pulled the car out and I have no leaks on the floor.

About a week ago I added a couple cans of Freon and the air has been cold. Last night when I was looking under the hood I noticed water dripping from near the fire wall on the passenger side. The water was dipping on a rubber cover from a tire rod - I think.

It looked unusual that the water would drip from that area. The temp was in the high 80's most of the day so AC was running a lot. I not sure if this is related to the burning smell.

Finfan,

Last night when I was looking under the hood I noticed water dripping from near the fire wall on the passenger side.

It's supposed to do that. The condensate that collects on the evaporator has to go somewhere and that's where it goes. As for your burning smell, I got noth'n.

post-67519-143141994573_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143141994563_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143141994569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

I'd bet my money on a brake caliper with a sticking piston that is holding the pad against the rotor causing overheating. After you take another 30 minute drive and smell the burning smell, feel of each wheel near the lug nuts to see if you can feel one wheel hotter than the others. That would tell you if a brake is overheating.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Take a good look between the rear valve cover and the firewall behind the engine. Lots of opportunity there for wires, lines, relays, etc. to come in contact with hot exhaust components.