intake manifold

Joseph44

Hi Everyone hope everyone enjoyed the 4th!! Question I want to replace the gasket on my 1983 buick prk ave 5.0 what must I remove besides the oveis? Must I remove the distributor? ( my biggest concern ) do I remove egr valve? ETC. Thanks guys have a great wk!!!

I'm not sure what an "oveis" is, but if you meant "obvious" items, then no. You do not need to remove the distributor on the 307 Olds. The EGR valve comes off with the intake. Do be sure to carefully mark every single vacuum line, as the CCC system will never work correctly if the lines are not reconnected properly.

Use the factory style metal intake gasket. Be sure to follow the directions about using RTV around the four water ports on both sides of the intake. Also, be SURE to get the four locating features properly indexed in the four outer bolt holes in the head. Failure to do this is the main reason why people have problems with this metal gasket.

Joe thank you for your response Now the Mech. at the garage I go to said I do need to remove the Dist. According to him there is a lot involved I don't know never did this job. The motor in this buick is a 5.0 307ci which they also used in oldsmobiles. Thanks again Joe for your help have a great wk!!!

I have replace intake manifolds on small block Olds motors without pulling the distributor, but that was with the smaller points-style distributor. Your larger HEI may require the distributor to come out. The problem is the oil fill tube on the front of the block prevents the intake from being pulled forward to clear the distributor. There is NOT a lot involved in pulling the distributor. I just swapped a point style for an HEI on a 350 Olds motor - took me about 15 minutes. Again, your 307 has about 20 miles of vacuum tubing and ALL of it needs to be reinstalled correctly. This might be a good time to replace all those hoses anyway, since a small leak in one will prevent the CCC system from working properly. And yes, your 307 is an Oldsmobile-sourced engine.

I want to thank Joe and Ntx5467 for your great responces very good information. I'll tell you what I found you know you have 2 vac.fittings coming out of the top of the intake one in the rear and one near the #1 plug well I not sure I did it or what but that fitting is bent and air is leaking out right at # 1 plug. Now my question to the both of you can that fitting be replaced without removeing the intake like with ( an easyout ). I appreciate the help so I look for your response Have a great wk!!!

I want to thank Joe and Ntx5467 for your great responces very good information. I'll tell you what I found you know you have 2 vac.fittings coming out of the top of the intake one in the rear and one near the #1 plug well I not sure I did it or what but that fitting is bent and air is leaking out right at # 1 plug. Now my question to the both of you can that fitting be replaced without removeing the intake like with ( an easyout ). I appreciate the help so I look for your response Have a great wk!!!

Sorry, I didn't see your question until just now. You will find that removing the fitting is probably easier with the manifold bolted to the engine since it won't be moving around that way. Just take care not to get metal chips in the intake runner. Once the fitting is out, I would use a vacuum cleaner with a small straw on the end so you can fit it down in the hole to remove any debris that might have been generated.