To add seatbelts or not?

Scott in PA

Hi Folks, me again...I realize this is personal choise but I'd just like to get a few thoughts on adding or not adding seatbelts to the car. I always use my seatbelt in my "normal" car as do all my passengers. This car will be used for ice cream trips and car shows, along with my wife, 6yo, 8yo, and 13yo children. This car is in what I believe to very good original condition. I'd like to know if anyone feels adding seatbelts will significantly reduce the value of the car, or from an originality standpoint be something that "you just don't do". I'm not sure it will make a difference, I'd like like to hear a few thoughts.

Thanks,

Scott

If folks out there have added them and found tastefull looking ones, where did you get them?

Guest richentee

Good seat belts require good anchors, which are difficult to provide in cars with wood floorboards. But something might be better than nothing, since, even at 25 mph, you can get pretty banged up in an accident. You are less likely to be ejected from a closed car.

A critical safety item you might want to check is the use of safety glass in the windshield at a minimum. I don't know when Franklin transitioned to laminated glass, but you do not want plate glass up front.

Scott, Let me add a couple thoughts. Please, for the sake of your family, don't even drive your car around the block without safety glass. Have you ever seen what 1/4" plate glass can do to someone? All it takes is a small bump or stone to turn your life or those of your loved ones into a nightmare. Safetyglass is a requirement and it doesn't detract from the car. Now safetybelts. If tastefully installed will not detract from your cars value and they are recommended by the AACA. We are in love with cars that have wood frame bodies with sheetmetal fastened to it. Now I don't really know how much the belts will help you in a collision but what about a bump or a twist or thrust from going around a corner and the body shifts and a door flys open. There goes one of your kids or friends out of the car. Safetybelts do help!

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now and wish you all the joys and fun of a Franklin.

Hope to see you at the trek.

Bill

'Funny' thing about glass: in my '31, all the 1/4" side windows are marked "safety glass", but no marking on the windshield nor separations??; PLATE???? No marking on rear window; but a couple of small separations(bubbles) exist. Don't think they had 1/4" glass but slightly thinner(7'32"?).

Franklin31, If your glass is marked then it was replaced. They didn't start marking safety glass in cars untill the late 1950's to early 1960's and it wasn't mandated by the DOT untill the early 1970's. When I said 1/4" plate I was grouping all early automobiles. That shard of plate that cuts off your nose or severs the jugular doesn't care whether its 1/4" or 7/32". In the early years there were many different glass makers and some of the early glass wasn't float glass and even had ripples in it. ( try reading a sign though that)

Bill

I also agree with the safety glass. I put seatbelts in my 29 model 130. They are in the front seat and mounted to the floor with heavy fender washers on both sides of the mounting bolts. I think I bought them at Napa. I do not think they would do much in a crash/rollover but will keep someone in the car if a door latch fails.

We've installed a number of sets. Oftentimes a steel support is needed under the floor.

it can be tricky now and then, but usually they can be installed so tat they can be tucked under the set when so desired. I buy them from a Texas company called Ssnake Oyl. Ssnake Oyl Products They specialize in seat belts and have a couple dozen colors and simple, non-obtrusive buckles.

I have them for passengers in most of my cars.

Tom

Maybe this will help your decision:

Under Pennsylvania’s primary child passenger safety law, children under the age of four must be properly restrained in an approved child safety seat anywhere in the vehicle.

Children from age four up to age eight must be restrained in an appropriate booster seat.

Children from age 8 up to age 18 must be in a seat belt.

You can't make the mounting too secure. Back in the day, when I was running a VW bug in local sportscar club rallies, gymkhanas and hill climbs I had to add a seat belt to pass the technical inspection. I had a steel plate, probably 3 or 4" wide by 1/8 or more thick running across under the sheet metal floorpan with the mounting bolts through it. No way was I going to rely on the sheet metal and washers. Inspectors said it was the best install they had seen. If you can't anchor to heavy metal then spread the load over a large area.