Sign in to follow this  
dbird35

1962 Lincoln Carb issues

I have a question in reference my 62 lincoln....I have a 1962 lincoln continental with the original motor and 2 barrel carb but I'm having trouble with the carb and I'm thinking about going with another 2 barrel carb....What are the pros and cons in your opinion? Also what other options do I have....without changing my intake

Send the carb out to someone like Daytona Parts and have them rebuild it. Make sure your fuel pump is the correct one with the heat shield and a vapor return line, have a stock fuel line and filter from the pump to the carb and have an inline filter installed where the fuel line comes out of the fender well and goes to the pump (any plastic clear filter works great.) If you can't source a pump put a small electric pump at the line from the tank to the frame rail and tie it to the starter relay to run when the solenoid is engaged - this primes the mechanical pump and over comes the vapor lock but does not overwhelm the float valves.

Generally the ETOH in the fuel dissolves the rubber in the carb and someone changes out the fuel pump to a 2 port pump and ditches the vapor return so the car Vapor locks in a heartbeat and shakes like a whore in church at low idle.

The original Carter ABD is one of the finest two barrel carbs ever built. It would be much more common except it was originally more expensive than most other two barrels, so only Lincoln and a couple of marine manufacturers used it.

I would highly suggest rebuilding your original. Kits are readily available if you do your own work. If not, try Baker's Lincoln in Putnum Connecticut.

Jon.

Thanks for the advice. most of the things that you mentioned I already have did. I had the original fuel pump rebuilt and I put a small fuel pump near the gas tank with a inline pressure gauge after the mechanical fuel pump. I also change the fuel filter to a clear type filter. The problem that I'm having is when I run the car or drive it for a while, after I shut the car off If I wait around 10 min it will have problems staying started. I would have to start it a couple times before it starts running correctly (almost as if it's flooding or a vapor lock). I had the carburetor rebuilt but I'm thinking that maybe they didn't do a good job

Could you post a picture of the Engine compartment with the air cleaner off. It would be helpful to see the fuel lines to the pump from the fender and the fuel line to the Carb. This sounds dumb but I just went through this with my 64 and I can tell alot from looking at the setup.

Very Interesting Article...I'll definatly try that out. I just found a near by gas station that sells non ethanol unleaded gas. Even though is $4.19/gallon I may start using it. I only drive the car on weekends and occasionspost-94927-143141981611_thumb.jpg

post-94927-143141981499_thumb.jpg

post-94927-143141981531_thumb.jpg

post-94927-143141981558_thumb.jpg

post-94927-143141981585_thumb.jpg

post-94927-143141981696_thumb.jpg
Very Interesting Article...I'll definatly try that out. I just found a near by gas station that sells non ethanol unleaded gas. Even though is $4.19/gallon I may start using it. I only drive the car on weekends and occasions[ATTACH=CONFIG]201191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201192[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]201195[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the pics!

First move the in line plastic filter to the pump supply line close to the fire wall and out of the way of the hot air flow from the radiator. Next order the correct metal screw in filter that goes on the pump output and the correct hard one to the carb. You would be surprised what a difference it makes. By having the plastic filter in the line to the carb and out from behind the heat shield you are increasing the ikelyhood of vaporlock.

Also if the carb wasn't done by someone who really knew what rather were doing the jets probably are wrong or were not replaced. Oftentimes people do not replace them as they "look good". The new ones are much better and the old once can be easily screwed up in the removal process - a burr from a tapered screwdriver will mess up the fuel flow, etc...

I do have the original setup...I changed it recently to the clear filter, pressure guage and rubber fuel line so I can try and figure out what the problem was. It did the same thing with both. Recently I notice that it had fuel coming from the front portion of the carb after I shut the car off. I did have the new new electronic fuel pump still on though...

I sent the carb back to the guy that originally rebuilt it for me. I'll let you all know the out come

While the carb is out I would go ahead and install a check valve in line at the tank to help stop the need to prime the lines. If that is where you have the electrical pump you can switch it to the starting circuit at the same time.

I have the electric pump wired to the starting circuit but I also put a kill switch under the dash board. What will the check valve do?

The check valve will stop the fuel in the line from being pushed back into the tank when you shut off the car and the engine compartment heats up. Shut it off and watch the fuel in the clear inline filter before the pump...

I checked the fuel level from the clear filter before and the gas didn't appear to be going back into the pump but I figured the electronic fuel pump would act as a good primer anyway....It still continued to have the same issues after running the car for a while