Sign in to follow this  
Matt Harwood

Model A stutters on right turns

My father called me today to help him with his 1930 Model A roadster. It starts and idles well, and drives just fine in first and second gear, but when you turn right, it stutters and backfires. In third, it also seems to stutter. I thought that perhaps the fuel level was low (there was about 1/4 tank) and it was sloshing off the pickup, but as an experiment, I shut off the gas valve and it runs fine for about 30 seconds, unless you make a right turn. So my next guess is a float issue. Before I tear into the carburetor, which seems to be some variation of a Zenith, but not a totally correct Model A unit (photo attached), is this something that's common to Model As that someone might be able to advise?

Thanks!

post-31138-143141979409_thumb.jpg

Here is what I posted on your other thread asking the same question:

I believe that is a Tillotson Model X carburetor. Rebuild kits are commonly available for it. I have successfully used those carburetors in the past but there are several reasons why I would suggest swapping it for a correct Zenith carburetor. I can't remember exactly what causes that, but it is most likely a carburetor issue that a rebuild or replacement will resolve. It is also possible that there is an ignition issue that only happens with right turns. I have heard of those sorts of things in the past too. Just the right flex happens to open or short something. Those sorts of problems will drive you crazy finding them.

I had that happen on a tractor, the pin that holds the float came partially out and the float would bind up and cut off the gas on hard turns. I just needed to push the float pin back in place.