New 1990 convertiable owner with intermitten ignition problems.

Guest RobertHoffman

Guest RobertHoffman

Hi all, Im new to the forum. I recently purchased a low mile 47000 1990 Reatta conv. I have replaced the cam sensor and interupter witch fixed the 041 code. I also have replaced the plugs,wires,ICM,coils and the crankshaft sensor. the problem Im still having is while driving the car i will loss power or it shuts off. I can always shift to Neutral and it starts back up but the problem comes and goes. I read alot of the other post witch is how I fixed the other issues I have had, but this one is kicking my butt. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

PS, I also own a 1990 coupe and a 1988 Fiero GT. I love the old cars.

Welcome to the forum Robert. An intermittent problem like you are having can be very hard to find. If you hadn't already replaced the ICM and crankshaft position I would say one of them is at fault. And they still could be... First I would make certain that the connection to those items is clean and tight. The ICM connector has been know to give intermittent problems. Make sure there aren't 2 gaskets installed in the connector. Just for a test try removing the gasket in the connector completely to ensure the pins in the connector are making good contact and see if the problem goes away.

Next I would check the fuel pressure to make sure it is up to specs. The fuel pump or regulator could be on the borderline of going bad.

Fuel Pressure Testing - Reatta Owners Journal

Lastly I recommend that you clear codes in the ECM. Then when the engine stalls check for codes immediately to see if any codes are set that might give you a clue as to what caused the engine to stall. A bad MAF sensor might cause your problem and it will set a code. Try tapping the MAF at idle with a plastic screwdriver handle. If the engine stumbles when you tap the MAF it could be bad. As info a bad ICM or crankshaft sensor will not set a code. Report the codes here and we will try to help determine the cause.

How To Access ECM, BCM & CRT Codes - Reatta Owners Journal

ECM Diagnostic Codes - Reatta Owners Journal

Guest Mc_Reatta

Welcome to the forum Robert. Hopefully pulling the trouble codes from diagnostics as Ronnie provided information on will shed some light on your problems. An intermittent problem can be difficult to locate.

A couple of things to try would be to tap the MAF sensor while the engine is running an see if there is any change in the idle.

I might also suggest removing the knee bolster under the glove box and reaching up and wiggling the three connectors and wires on the ECM and tap the ECM to see if there is any change to the idle as well.

Turn engine off and disconnect each of the three ECM connectors and reconnect before replacing the bolster.

Guest RobertHoffman

Thanks for the info so far, I did find a bad MAF on my coupe. but the conv. still no results.

When I owned my 89, I had to replace the Crankshaft Sensor. The car ran fine for a day or two, then started to do just want you described. Over the next few days the condition worsened to the point the car had to be towed. What was discovered, the Crankshaft Sensor was not installed correctly and the harmonic balancer was scraping a hole in the sensor. Just to rule that problem out, you might check the clearance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RobertHoffman

Thanks to all for the help. I was able to determine that the ECM was bad, after replacing it the car runs perfectly.

Anecdotally, it seems as though we are starting to see a lot of ecm failures. I had to replace them on both my 88 coupes Suppose it may be age related, as that is the one commonality on all our cars. Getting 22+ years of use isn't too shabby from a module.

KDirk

Is partly a matter of stress. There is a light bulb in NY that has been burning for over 100 years (they are also running at about 70% of rated voltage.) The key is to avoid surges as with bad batteries and terminals. There are a bunch of '14 Jeeps that are having massive module failures (dieing in traffic) apparently because a ground was not properly tightened.