Seen on a trailer. WTH is it?

Barry Wolk

Don't know, but check out those "wide 5" wheels and the front bumper mounts ! Hydraulic ?, spring-loaded? Neat mystery, did you ask the passenger in the truck what kind of vehicle it was ? Now I'll have to try to dig through my old Automobile Quarterlies, ha !

Guest prs519

But that distributor looks like a camshaft driven Ford flathead!? That differential is something else, too.

Tatra 77 was rear engine, earlier models were front engine (I thought it might be a 57).

It does look English but what English car had swing axle IRS and torsion bars in the 30s - 50s? There were the Burney Streamlines but they were rear engine, besides they didn't look anything like that.

Guest RonB

I think i have it now,it's a large prewar/ immediate post war Lancia. The rear torsion bar suspension,lever action shocks and especially the inboard brakes are exactly what the large Lancias had, The small cars were Depost-94846-143141977837_thumb.jpgDion rear end chassis with a trans axle,different to the big limos . Also,it's right hand drive which the big italian cars featured . The only Englsih cars apart from jags to feature in board brakes were Rover P6's with the disc set up on a DeDion rear end.

• 2 months later...