On the road to South Bend

Barney Eaton

I will be on the road starting Thursday. Since the discussion is a little slow I decided to post.

We are originally from Frankfort Ind. about 40 miles north of Indianapolis. My wife has a sister there and my only brother still lives there.

Whenever we get a chance, we stop in Frankfort. From Texas it is about 1100 miles..depends on which route we take. This time we are taking 3 days going up because a Reatta owner in Jackson Tenn has suggested we stop for lunch/dinner. He has two Reattas and also lives in a Frank Lloyd Wright house, I am excited to see both.

I will be taking a limited number of parts, seems someone always has a headlight problem on the way to the meet and wants it fixed. It is simple to pack the tools that I like to use, and it makes the job go faster. We were in South Bend 3 years ago for a wedding and did the Studebaker museum and the Hudson one also. I may drive over to Auburn if there is some other guys that want to go. After the wife has seen something once, that is enough.

We are not taking a Reatta because of the stop in Frankfort. The brother-in-law always wants to play golf so we take the clubs, two sets of clubs puts a strain on the Reatta capacity.

On the way from Frankfort to S.B. we are stopping to see another Reatta owner for lunch and to see his other cars. At last count he has 40 which is larger than some museums. He is a Pontiac guy but has an assortment of other brands.

Our biggest unknown is the grandaughter. She moved to Chicago in March and we have been assigned to deliver some "boxes". We are hoping this does not become a problem....she lives almost "downtown"..... 14 blocks south of the Loop. If we are fortunate, that trip will be on a Sunday and traffic may be lighter.

After the Buick National, we will head back to Frankfort for a few days before returning to Texas. Did I mention it was 108 here yesterday? Looking forward to a break in the tempature, but it can be sticky in Indiana.

After rereading this is sounds like a facebook post, sorry about that. Hope to see many of you in South Bend, we are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, maybe we could go to dinner that night.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to Central Indiana on Saturday. Stopped in Jackson TN and visited with the owner of 2 Reattas....the only cars he owns. On monday I repaired the headlight of a local dentist. Trying to rest up for the big meet.

Guest steveskyhawk

I'm just coming up on Indianapolis now. Weather is hot humid and overcast. Can't wait to go home

Guest Kitskaboodle

Two sets of clubs puts a strain on the Reatta capacity??? Huh? You're joking, right? :(

The Reatta has tons of room. I took the Fiero to Solvang a while back (with the wife, her luggage and all the merchandise she bought while she was there and I still made it all fit. Just to let you know you can get a ton of stuff behind them Reatta seats. In fact, I used my Reatta to bring some Fiero seats back from the PickNPull! Your excuse for not taking your Reatta is a weak one. :)

Kit

Two sets of clubs puts a strain on the Reatta capacity??? Huh? You're joking, right? :(

The Reatta has tons of room. I took the Fiero to Solvang a while back (with the wife, her luggage and all the merchandise she bought while she was there and I still made it all fit. Just to let you know you can get a ton of stuff behind them Reatta seats. In fact, I used my Reatta to bring some Fiero seats back from the PickNPull! Your excuse for not taking your Reatta is a weak one. :)

Kit

I agree. I was on the verge of just taking my Reatta to SB, but with a vent window, a set of 16-way seats, plus a box of other pieces parts, I opted to just take the truck and trailer the Reatta so I can travel in comfort.

Guest HessLakeGuy

Weather forecast ten days out is for temps of about 90, humid and some chance of rain. Each day looked the same.

Last year in Charlotte my white car showed 108 degrees on Friday afternoon, and at the track on Saturday it seemed even hotter than that (with all of that asphalt).

Since I live only about 95 miles from South Bend their weather is included in our local forecasts.

Tom