1936 pontiac 6 cylinder

Guest j-hall36

Guest j-hall36

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 1936 pontiac with what I believe is a 208 CI inline 6 cylinder. I have found that this engine was only used in 1935 and 1936. The problem is the block is cracked. I was wondering if there are any other engines that will bolt into this car, or am I limited to finding another 208. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a tech at a ford dealer and we are trying to fix this for a good customer. Needless to say my 1936 Pontiac knowledge is very limited.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Back in the day engine blocks with cracked water jackets were common. It was also common for most shops to have guys that knew how to braze them. If the engine has a typical water jacket type crack I would say to repair rather than replace. .........Bob

Like alsancle says the hardest part of the job will be finding someone who KNOWS what he is doing. There is a huge variety of opinions as to the BEST way to repair broken cast iron. And there is a huge amount of variables including type of cast iron, gas or electric, TIG/MIG/stick, nickle, stainless or silicon bronze filler rod etc etc etc. There is no one size fits all general answer. That said, for a water leak crack type repair, in an old oil soaked casting where pre/post heat control is problematic I maintain the gas torch brazing is the tried and true method.........................Bob

Stiching a block is not welding. It is done by drilling and tapping through the crack and inserting threaded tapered plugs, each one overlapping into the previous one. It is an old and proven method for cast iron repair and doesn't require any extraordinary skills or tooling. On an exterior crack, you don't even have to disassemble the engine.

Stiching a block is not welding. It is done by drilling and tapping through the crack and inserting threaded tapered plugs, each one overlapping into the previous one. It is an old and proven method for cast iron repair and doesn't require any extraordinary skills or tooling. On an exterior crack, you don't even have to disassemble the engine.

Like I said, a huge amount of opinions on the best way. Depending on the size and location of the crack stitching may be one of them.............Bob

I understand there is a company in California that supplies the 'stitch kits' with instructions. Do you know who they are?

Guest Commodore
i have a complete 37 pontiac moter for sale if your interested call george 406-5432591

My Interchange Manual says that 1937 - 38 Pontiac 6 cylinder engine can be installed in a 1935 - 36 Pontiac by changing the rear hanger. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest j-hall36

do you mean engine mount by rear hanger? My main concern would be the bell housing/transmission mounting to the block. If all this would work, is the rear hanger also avaiable with the 37 engine? Again thanks fotr the help.