Is your tire still road worthy after a puncture

gundog99

The Dodge had a slow puncture last week . I fitted the spare which last year had punctured when I was driving and as it turned out the tire was very badly damaged; I was driving home luckily my wife was following me ,She alerted me, thinking something was stuck on the inner tire wall. Not only has it split but the rubber is no longer binding to the core. I was surprised to find that the tires are all stamped " seconds".

post-47557-143141970943_thumb.jpg

post-47557-143141970935_thumb.jpg

Bad luck, Gundog99. I think we have all got used to taking steel braced radials for granted these days.

Cross ply tyres on quite a heavy car are one thing; 'seconds' are probably not a good idea. I expect you will be changing them all for new ones - quite an expense! - but in my view a price worth paying.

Mine are all "Excelsior" 440/450 x 21 but just how old they are is anyone's guess! They look O.K. but could be lethal for all I know!:(

Ray.

Something of a diversion from Dodge but the front tires on my 1930 Austin Swallow are 325x19 ex W/D (War Department) and hardly worn. Unlike the rubber we buy these days, the military must have had access to some really good stuff. The bead has not rusted and the rubber is still supple and not perished at all! The tread is slightly narrower (should be 350) but as motor cycle tyres they work well on the little Austin 7.

Ray.

When I bought my Dodge Senior 9 years ago it was fitted with very old 19x600 Olympic's; the rubber had become very hard with age, this caused three of the car's rims to split running on our very bad local roads . There is no shock absorbing with an old hard tire ,I was luckily that there was no other damage to the rest of the car. Fortunately the Lincoln's 600/650 are still supple

I have not heard of that happening before, Gundog. I know if a car is left standing on it's tyres for a long time, flats can develop but never thought that rubber could get that hard.

O.K. I really must check out the tyres on the Dodge.

Thanks.

Ray.

I have not heard of that happening before, Gundog. I know if a car is left standing on it's tyres for a long time, flats can develop but never thought that rubber could get that hard.

O.K. I really must check out the tyres on the Dodge.

Thanks.

Ray.

When changing my friend's tires on his 1913 Cartercar, we just about had to use chisels because of the hardness of the tires. Finally had to get the correct equipment to change them....

post-37352-14314197289_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141972894_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141972914_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141972932_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141972933_thumb.jpg

When changing my friend's tires on his 1913 Cartercar, we just about had to use chisels because of the hardness of the tires. Finally had to get the correct equipment to change them....

.Wow, that is extreme! Over time rubber goes hard with age ,strong light and a hot environment.