Adjusting wood spoke wheels

I have a 1928 Studebaker with wood wheels. They appear to be in good shape, but at speeds over 30-35 I am getting a lot of "wobble". Spinning the front tire off the ground, you can see some uneven rotation by watching the tread from a frontal view. Looking for someone who has a car with wood spokes and has addressed this situation. To change the tires would demand getting the tire and rim adjusted to run "true". Not even sure how to do this. Please help if you can.

If preaching to the choir, I don't mean to. I'm guessing the tire is mounted on a split rim which is then mounted on the wheel - is this fully and correctly seated? When I disassembled my wheels, making sure the hub center line was perpendicular to the plane of the spokes was a major concern when putting everything back together. Resting the hub on a flat surface, I measured the height around the circumference to make sure it was the same. Then turned over to rest on the brake drum and repeated. I don't recall having to make any adjustments, but this would be the time, before tightening the hub bolt nuts. frank

Thank you Frank29u------I'm not the choir......and appreciate your response......but you lost me. Your explanation sounds like you had the spokes and hub all apart in the restoration process. I am not restoring my wheels, yet, but trying to "balance" them to run true..without any wobble. I use the word "balance" only to mean having the wheel and rim/tire connection to make the wheel run smoothly at speeds higher than 25-35. I have an idea that when the tires were changed at some point, they just put the rims and wheels together without much effort to make them run smoothly. I don't think any car should shake-raddle-and roll just because they have wood spoke wheels. I could be wrong, but don't think so at this moment. What did you mean when you asked if they were "seated" properly. Remember I have never had my wheels apart from the tire/rims.... What I am looking for is being able to lift the back or front tire off the floor ...spin it and have it rotate without much if any variance. Thanks for any further imput.

Deburt65, I think I have the picture. You're right, it shouldn't shake-rattle-and roll like mine did, too. Here is what I did.

1. Replaced tie rod ends.

2. Replaced the king pins and set toe according to manual instructions.

3. Adjusted the steering gear to remove the "slop."

4. Had the wheels "balanced" while on the axle. This was done at a local shop, Norm's Tire, that caters to many of the "hot roders" here in the twin cities. Fortunately, they also value our cars and have the expertise and tools to change tires on split rims and finesse the weights that the wheels needed for even rotational weight distribution.

It's hard to say which of these was most effective, but I lean towards getting the tires balanced.

After getting all these done, driving 50 on new asphalt was a dream. I still bounce around a bit when hitting all the tarred seams of residential streets, though.

I hope this is on the right track for you. frank