National directory of Buick dealerships in operation as of 1967, names & addresses

Guest Henry White

Guest Henry White

I have a booklet which lists the business names and addresses of all Buick dealerships in operation in the USA as of 1967. If anyone has a name of a Buick dealership they would like to know the address of post here and I will see if it is listed in this booklet.

I would like to find info or items for Thumma Motor Co 217 Frederick St. Hagerstown MD. They sold my 1970 Stage 1 new.

My grandfather bought his new 1937 Special humpback sedan at Fields Buick Hyattsville MD. Building has been torn down.

I already looked for the Leo Stark dealership in Monett MO, it is not listed.

Can I assist you in finding the address of your dealership? I will try.

Edited by Henry White
add info (see edit history)

I found a similar sort of list a while back. Seems like it was a link I found on a GS website?

Considering how MANY Buick dealers/franchises there were back then, compared to NOW, it's a wonder they sell as many as they do! As the modern dealership's business model has evolved, it's certainly NOT (seemingly) about convenience and accessibility . . . unless you're in or near a metro area. Back then, EVERY decent-sized town had a Ford or Chevy dealership, plus some sort of Chrysler Corp dealership. Pontiac, Buick, Pontiac, and GMC were "combination" stores with at least two franshises at each location. Cadillac stores were more exclusive and usually combined with another carline in the non-metro areas where there was enough "money" for people to need to drive Cadillacs.

It seems that Chrysler is now re-expanding into markets they vacated a few years ago. The newbies are usually NOT local people, but seem to be bringing "the city to the country" (and ALL that might entail). As their prior franchisees are still living there. As you might suspect, "No love lost", either.

Of course, Ford had seemed to "own" the rural markets as they dualed the Ford car stores with Ford Tractor stores. A nice car, a good truck, and a good tractor (and implements) to support rural agricultural activities AND enjoy the fruits of the farm owner/operator's labors. In many cases, the Ford store was the only dealership in these small towns! Ford sold their appliance business (Philco), their tractor business (to New Holland), stopped building the carlines which many rural residents drove (Crown Vics, Mercurys, and Lincoln Town Cars), and probably still wants to close those smaller sales points. How many Sears Catalog Stores are still around in the smaller towns? IF they didn't have Mustangs, F-series, and Power Strokes . . .

Why might a Ford or GM or Chrysler vehicle owner desire to drive 50+ miles to their closest dealership when an (expansion) Honda or Toyota store is closer? Why drive 50+ miles to a chain department store store when another chain's store is closer with comparable merchandise and pricing? But I guess that doesn't apply to automobiles? [Of course, we can discuss THAT orientation from both sides of the street].

Many older purchases were built on existing and (hopefully) future brand loyalty. A Chevrolet sought a different clientel than other GM carlines did, although there could be AND was price overlap between the divisions . . . a top of the line, highly-optioned Impala/Caprice would be in basic Pontiac Catalina/Olds 88/Buick LeSabre price territory, for example. BUT there were ALSO customer demographics which identified more with one brand than another similar one, at the same price point. Same with Ford/Mercury and Plymouth/Dodge. NO generic customers at ANY price point . . . but it seems the "customer's choice" orientation just doesn't matter anymore . . . as we've watched Toyota emulate the Sloan "a vehicle for every purse" orientation very nicely as the press' pundits have hammered GM and others for still clinging to that "outmoded" orientation.

Customers DO have choices and WILL exercise them IF sufficiently-motivated to stray from their normal purchase patterns. No matter what corporate OEMs' operatives (at many levels) might desire to believe. If no choices might exist, then somebody else will fill that void, in a year or so.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest Henry White

Yes, I copied the booklet and provided it to that GSX guy at my expense and never even got a thank you for my efforts. He got all the credit over on that "site", a place which I cant comment on.