1919 H44 Roadste, Back of Seat Cushion

Peter Kind

I'm in the process of finishing my upholstery and wonder 'How' the back of the seat is mounted:

Is it fixed to the wooden backside or is it a removable part?

From the Buick sales catalogue it looks like the leather of the back is nailed on top of the body. The parts list does not show a picture of the seat. How is the top fixed to this?

A clear picture would elucidate my questions. Can someone help me?

rgds Peter post-72086-143141957683_thumb.jpg

Early tourings and roadsters had fabricated seat cushions, but the backrest was "loose" in the sense that there were independent springs, mounted in a pattern and connected with spring twine, using a special knot that kept them in place and spaced correctly....then the seat material, with it's own fabric and backing and padding, was installed over the springs.

Like a lot of upholstery, simple in concept but hard to explain...

Peter,

While not exactly the same, I have a 1918 E-45 touring that I just had reupholstered. Here is a photo show the original upholstery, springs and padding.

The springs were attached directly to the body using 3 small clips at the top and nothing at the bottom. The padding was laid over the springs with no attachment. The upholstery was nailed to the top wood part of the body and at the floor. The upholstery held the padding in place and the bottom of the spring down.

I hope this helps, I expect your car would be built similarlypost-38164-143141958248_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Early tourings and roadsters had fabricated seat cushions, but the backrest was "loose" in the sense that there were independent springs, mounted in a pattern and connected with spring twine, using a special knot that kept them in place and spaced correctly....then the seat material, with it's own fabric and backing and padding, was installed over the springs.

Like a lot of upholstery, simple in concept but hard to explain...

Thank you for your comments. I also found that there are differences between US and Canadian built cars. I will see what solution fits most