Antifreeze for a 1967 lincoln continental

Guest Skinnywhitelbk

Hi,

I would suggest you do a little searching on this forum before adding even "green stuff" to your car. Many of the modern extended life antifreezes purportedly can harm your system. You might start with this discussion; http://forums.aaca.org/f162/urgent-warning-extended-life-anti-freeze-292163.html . I personally would suggest you use one of the "original" type antifreezes for your car.

Carl

Use a straight ethylene glycol based coolant mixed 50-50 with distilled water, which should put things at -34 degrees freeze point and about 260 degrees boiling point. That should be adequate protection for your Linken.

You may have to dig to find the straight stuff but it is still made. I stay away from premixed because I see no reason to pay the "convenience" premium for a half-gallon of water.

I have found lately that a lot of the stuff will test at -34 degrees freeze point even before it's mixed with water. Makes me wonder if the manufacturers are diluting it all even before it's jugged.

Hi,

I would suggest you do a little searching on this forum before adding even "green stuff" to your car. Many of the modern extended life antifreezes purportedly can harm your system. You might start with this discussion; http://forums.aaca.org/f162/urgent-warning-extended-life-anti-freeze-292163.html . I personally would suggest you use one of the "original" type antifreezes for your car.

Carl

The "green stuff" is what was used originally. I made no mention of extended use or any of the modern coolants. No need to muddy the waters, no pun intended, with a lot of extraneous information.

Sorry John, I wasn't trying to be a smart ****, like you at one time I thought all green antifreeze was compatible with our cars. I found out the mildly expensive way. Before all the info hit about the extended life I had drained and refilled two of my cars with fresh green Peak antifreeze not thinking or knowing about the potential danger. Then when the articles started appearing I looked at my jugs and they mentioned extended life. After some searching I found Peak "original green" formula that was recommended for older cars. I ended up flushing out the new green extended life antifreeze and refilling with "original green" Peak antifreeze as I would rather loose the cost of 5 gallons of antifreeze then potentially more expensive repairs. Just my opinion but if there wasn't a potential problem or at least profit I doubt they would have put an "original green" on the market. Carl

The change in antifreeze technology seems to have changed a lot since 2005. The changes seemed to happen around 2009-2010. The last couple years it has become more of a concern. Even Autozone now has an antifreeze for older cars.

[h=3]AutoZone/1 gal. green conventional antifreeze and coolant[/h]

(0 reviews)

Part Number: AZA003

<form id="formId3" name="formIdName3" action="/autozone/accessories/AutoZone-1-gal-green-conventional-antifreeze-and-coolant/_/N-25ha?itemIdentifier=540722_0_0_&_DARGS=/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf/accSingleShelf.jsp" class="formContainer" method="post"></form>