1929U Plymouth Option/Accessory Costs?

frank29u

Would like to get some info on what prices Chrysler listed for such items as front and rear bumpers, wire and disk wheels, cloth spare tire cover, white wall tires (I know, I know), and the dash mounted 8 day Waltham clock. Any info appreciated. Thanks, frank

The April 1, 1934 edition of the Plymouth Master Parts List gives same number applicable to both the Q and U for disk wheel assembliy. What I suspect is these are the 20" used on the Q and carried over to the early production U. Then the disk was not generally available after the change to 19"?

The April 1, 1934 edition of the Plymouth Master Parts List gives same number applicable to both the Q and U for disk wheel assembliy. What I suspect is these are the 20" used on the Q and carried over to the early production U. Then the disk was not generally available after the change to 19"?

Always welcome a lesson on the early ones. Thank you. John

There is a whole list of accessory items listed in The Standard Catalog. I can only take their word that these are correct. Here are just a few; bumpers front and rear - set $15, 8 day clock - $12.50, disc wheels (set of 5) - $25, 6 disc wheels with spare tyres and tubes - $75 (this would have required the fender spare option at $50). Tire covers are quoted at $1.50 - I guess this is a cloth cover for the spare. There are a whole lot more as well.

I have a Canadian-built U sedan. I don't know how much - if any - different they were to the US models. Mine is right hand drive of course. It has bumpers front and rear which I have always assumed it had from new.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Hi nzcrnerd, I haven't heard of The Standard Catalog, but I will be looking for one, now. Thank you very much for the prices you listed.

Difference from Canadian vs US built? I don't really know outside of the obvious. I found the hard way that one must be careful in buying parts since Chrysler would change them during the model production. This makes life difficult if the P/N isn't on the part or I don't even know what it looks like. See the wheel page here as a for instance of various wood front wheel assemblies based on serial #.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]198590[/ATTACH]

John, never seen disks on a Q or U either. The only disk wheeled car I actually saw was a '29 Chevrolet sedan at a Hudson-Essex-Terraplane show several years ago. The PMP List doesn't indicate any restrictions for use. I guess they weren't very popular at the additional expense. frank

I guess just because verious options were made available it doesn't mean anybody necessarity bought them. That makes them rare - but does it make them desirable? I think disc wheels had pretty much gone out of fashion by 1929 - they are more commonly seen on cars from the early to mid 1920s - Paige, Nash, Studebaker and Packard were just a few of the makes to have them as standard. As far as I know the 1930 Packard was about the last car to use them as standard. My 1926 Pontiac has disc wheels and I have not seen another one with them. There were two different types offered for the Pontiac;- Baker and Motor Wheel.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)