1956 Buick Special headlight and ignition switches

Guest lstepp2

Guest lstepp2

I need toremove the headlight switch and the ignition switch from my Buick. I do nothave a clue where to begin. Some cars have a screw in the knob some areloosened by a screw under the dash. How to I remove the Headlight switch andthe ignition switch?? I need to replace the under dash wiring harness, it isburnt out. Is there a place I can order a harness that will handle LED bulbs??

Thanks LStepp

The head lamp switch is removed by way of a button on the switch and a wrench. The ignition switch with the aid of a paper clip. The shop manual explains how to do both. If you plan to keep/drive/maintain your 56 a shop manual is essential. There is no shortage of them...................Bob

Guest lstepp2

Thanks, I havea factory manual for my 1956 Buick. Besides disconnecting battery and the wireson the switch it says, "Pull switch knob out to last notch, then depressthe spring loaded latch button on switch will pulling the knob and rod assemblyout of switch. The Radio also requires the compression of spring to remove theknobs. That was a pain but I succeeded. Where I am confused is I cannot locatethe lock washer on the backside of the switch lighting rod once I turn thelight switch on. I know newer GM's like my 1960 Chevy has a retaining screw onthe light switch. It is accessed under the dash on the switch itself.<o:p></o:p>

Does the bookmean to crawl under the dash, compress the tension washer While pulling on theheadlight switch knob?? On the Ignition switch it says see subparagaraph b, above, I do not have a clue where subparagraph b is located. I am not a mechanic, just a retired old man trying to restore a car like my first car. Thanks Lonnie

Guest Bob Call

First the headlight switch. Pull the knob out as far as possible. Then reach under the dash and upon top of the switch its self (rectangular box) there is a small button. Press down and hold the button while pulling the knob and rod out of the switch. You should now be able to see the slotted nut holding the switch. Use a small screwdriver to put into one of the slots and unscrew the nut.

The ignition switch. Next to the key slot is a small round hole. Straighten a paper clip. Put the key in the ignition and turn the key to on, insert the straight wire into the hole and press in and turn the key as far to the right as possible the lock tumbler assembly should now pull out with the key. Now the retaining screw ring can be turned to release the switch assembly to take it out the back side of the dash. I might not be right about turning the key to the right. If turning it right does not get it out then turn it to the left. It's been 20 years or so since I have done this. I used to have the special tools to remove the slotted nut on the light switch and the ring on the ignition switch with three slots.

Guest lstepp2

Thanks Very,very much. I am a more see and then do type of person. My Dad taught me how torepair clocks. So, I can repair most clockworks. As a kid I avoided working oncars. I thought the greasy hands would turn girls off. I was too dumb to graspmany girls Like a Man's Man. I realized that in the Army. Thank-you very muchfor assisting me. Your description is much clearer than the manual's description.

Lonnie

Guest lstepp2

Thanks for theheadlight and ignition switch advice. I just recovered from pneumonia andpulled the head light switch and the ignition tumbler. However, I cannot grasphow to removing the ignition housing and the lighter housing. At some point theunder dash wiring was fried. I am surprised that they used so many in linefuses!! Thanks Lonnie

Guest Bob Call

Lonnie

With the ignition lock removed there should be a bezel on the switch that surrounds the opening for the lock. This is threaded and screws on the switch assembly body. Remove this and the switch assembly body is removable from the back side of the dash. Some of these bezels have three notches on the outside edge. These are for a spanner wrench. If it doesn't have the notches protect the finish with a cloth and use pliers to unscrew the bezel. The bezel will not come off with the lock in place.