1937 Plymouth Business Coupe

Guest Mark Jackley

Guest Mark Jackley

I am the proud owner of a 37 business coupe which I have just began to restore. I believe the model is a P3. Machine work on 201 flat 6 has been done. Currently cleaning and painting parts for installation in the near future. When it came back from the machine shop, they painted it with Chrysler red engine enamel. I have not been able to determine if this is the proper color for the block, head etc. This will not be a frame off restoration but I will be sand blasting much of the frame work and painting the engine compartment prior to installing the engine. I am looking for any paint schemes that would have come on the car from the factory. Firewall is currently painted the same color as the exterior paint. Frame has no color to it and is nothing but rust. What advise can anyone present which will help me get as close as possible to the original colors. Also I have heard in the past that sand blasting metal will sometimes warp sheet metal. I am curious if this thick gauge metal will hold up to sand blasting rather then throwing 80 grit sand paper on my palm sander and get after it. Thanks for your advise in advance!

Welcome to the forum and please show us some photos of your Plymouth. I LOVE that year and style body! The engine would have been silver (including the radiator gooseneck bypass hose) with black accessories. For the frame, I would use John Deere "Blitz Black" that you can find at a Deere dealer. Some folks prefer powdercoating and some folks prefer gloss black paint. I prefer the satin finish of the Blitz Black. Sandblasting will not hurt sheet metal if done at the proper angle and pressures.

Guest Mark Jackley

Thanks to each of you guys for your input. I will continue to enjoy this site as well as look into the new one suggested by Bamfords Garage. Have a great day!