Removing rear window tinting without damaging defroster?

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

The previous owner of my Reatta got the top of the line tinting, lifetime guarantee. It has begun to come loose, the only problem to take advantage of the guarantee I have to take the car back to Sarasota where I bought it, about 450 round trip miles. Is it possible to have an old tint removed without damaging the defroster elements? I already have one element that no longer works. Most shops are independents and will not guarantee the elements. Plus I would like to go a little darker to reduce fading.

Thank you all,

Richard

• 3 years later...
Guest Carlos Smith

While removing window tint all by yourself  you have to keep this thing in mind. First of all you have take care of window that it didn't get the scratch from the tint cutter. Or if you are having a second doubt about this you can hire professional window tinting company to these done.

I, too- find his accent quite refreshing. I grew up in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Wilmington:D

Richard D.- you also mentioned you have a dead defroster track? Permatex makes an excellent Defroster Repair Kit

Use a DVM and test from side to side, to find the open circuit. I have used these kits on many cars, living in Central New York- we really rely on the defroster. I plan on actually removing my high-mount light assembly, and creating 2 more grids where the light is. It is frosted over in Winter, and invisible. I have never been satisfied with the small amount of window the grid covers, and this kit will fix that, very easily.