Super looking 36 Dodge Coupe for sale on the HAMB.

bbbbbb9

It's a business coupe. Perforation rust on the one side shown. (Don't know about the "curb side" at all from photos). Floor pans most likely gone then. Not running. Interior for patterns.

Full restoration would be fairly pricey so buy price should be closer to $5500 I would think. Advertised on the HAMB - will turn into a street rod. :eek:

Currently priced too high for a restorer to pull it out of that world.

I've seen this car advertized on Ebay a couple of times. Didn't sell there either! Everyone wants to get rich on old iron. I agree based on retoration costs and car values I'd say between $3,500- $4,500 at best. It costs a small fortune to authentically restore one of these cars. I had 2 parts cars just to find enough parts to do my '36 sedan!

Without looking at the car in person I do not see the price that far out of line, its a whole lot more car than a 1930 Dodge. ( for instance ) It will keep up with highway speeds without pushin it, can be driven in the rain without worrying about leaks, has creature comforts such as radio, a fuel and temp gauge on the dashboard, a glove compartment ect.

Just going by the pictures I do not see 7500 as too much money, maybe 8500 if its really that solid. This forum is open to worldwide members and how many 36 Coupes have we seen on it? Very few.

I am sure the guy would jump at 75.

I understand that the car is going to take another 15000 to be show ready but I would not buy it and do that too it but instead just clean it get it driveable and have fun with it. If I feel this way than someone else will too that has money although it may be a while too find the right person.

If the guy offered it for 35 or 45 than chances are some derelict prob. would have bought it already so I am glad he is not giving it away.

I would estimate that if it were a RHD version over here it would sell quickly at that asking price and would be restored properly.

How about this one?

Dodge D2 Coupe For Sale (1936) on Car And Classic UK [C389255]

That's funny.....I have supplied parts for that burgundy coupe. Odd with the extra spare.

I think it is a really cool car but I do not believe you could get paint (reasonably high quality) for 15k. Then you still have chrome, interior , mechanical.

I guess I was thinking of somebody that could do alot of the work themselves, I could do the paint and body ( if I chose to go that route ) for maybe 1k-1500 tops all materials, nice job ect.,Then maybe another 4500 in drivetrain ( going thru it ) again I would do all except machine work, pay someone to do majority of interior, maybe another 3, chrome/stainless work, just a guess but maybe 4k. What are we up to?

If there were anything left than maybe it would still cover any missing parts.

Somebody who is an expert could you explain to me how the Dodge/Plymouth Business coupe desirability hierarchy works? Are the 32 cars at the top with a gradual decline to 52? Do Dodges bring a slight premium over Plymouth because of the slightly longer stroke and a tad more HP? What year did they go all steel?

I do not know anything about hierarchy and not sure what would make you say 32 cars at the top but a Dodge may bring a bit more money than a Plymouth because Dodge Brothers were for the most part all steel bodied cars from the beginning.

Yes there were some specialty cases where wood skeleton was employed, some bodies were built by Wilson, Fisher and even in Dodge main ( just to name a few ) with these wood skeletons but again the largest majority of the cars being built from late ( Nov 1914 ) on up until the thirties and beyond were all steel with the exception of ( in some models ) floorboards, roof bows, upholstery tack strips ect.

I like Plymouth just about as much with the only drawback in my opinion being the wooden bodies.

Hope this helps

The only Plymouths with any real amount of wood are the open cars.

May want to look into that a bit more, we have several here locally that I have been involved with and they are full of wood, no different than the early Chevrolets as an example. Here is also an interesting thread that shows the extent of wood in these early Plymouths. I need some advise...

This guy is doing a stand-up job on his 29

I am just taking a stab at it but I think there was alot of wood being used throughout Plymouth bodies on up until the early thirties or so but I am certainly not a Plymouth expert by any means and welcome a correction. It may have even been sometime in 31 or with the introduction of the PA that Plymouth went with the Briggs body, I cannot recall for sure.

I do know the export bodies used wood predominately up until at least the mid thirties or so.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

May want to look into that a bit more, we have several here locally that I have been involved with and they are full of wood, no different than the early Chevrolets as an example. Here is also an interesting thread that shows the extent of wood in these early Plymouths. I need some advise...

This guy is doing a stand-up job on his 29

I am just taking a stab at it but I think there was alot of wood being used throughout Plymouth bodies on up until the early thirties or so but I am certainly not a Plymouth expert by any means and welcome a correction. It may have even been sometime in 31 or with the introduction of the PA that Plymouth went with the Briggs body, I cannot recall for sure.

I do know the export bodies used wood predominately up until at least the mid thirties or so.

I was under the assumption that you guys were talking about the Plymouths and Dodges for 1932 and after.

That does look like a nicer car, if I remember correctly 35 had the chicken wire fabric, 36 had steel insert and 37 first year for one piece steel roof.