Chuck

Guest Painterir

Guest Painterir

Any one having trouble putting up the soft top on your PT Maserati? Mine hasn't been up for a long time, and now it seems to have dried out so when I attach the front I cannot connect the back and vise versa. Any ideas? I thought maybe wetting it down might help. Thanks, Chuck

I agree.

Definately leave it up either in the sun or in a heated garage till the material is able to stretch with gentle force. My Special convert sat with the top down for 12 or 13 months and had to wait for the material to warm up and stretch. So far no problems and... it is not NEW. Patients is the key here.

post-36036-143141947223_thumb.jpg

When I saw the subject line, I just had to take a look...

I agree with above suggestions.

On my '69 Bug convertible, that had its top down "for years" (reportedly) before we bought it, it has a solid front header bow, so I also placed a heavy object on top of that (might've been a bag of ready-mix or something like that--this car is *quite scruffy*, and I wasn't worried about scratching or anything...), and then sat the car in the sun. The weight, combined with the sun-heating/softening effects on the crusty vinyl top, eventually brought it down to a point where I could latch it.

post-34222-143141948293_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)