'36 Buick Timing Cover upgrade 233 Special Series 40

Buick36-49

Hello All,

It’s Robert again. Does anybody know if there is an upgrade to the timing cover for the ’36 Buick straight eight 233 engine? I have the rope seal, but unfortunately we did not “pack” the rope seal correctly so the oil is dripping bout of the front pulley especially when driving. The whole underside of the car is wet with oil. I am thinking that’s where most of my oil is going. During 300 miles I have to add 1 quart.

Is there an upgrade from the rope seal to a rubber seal using a newer strait eight timing cover (e.g. Buick 248 engine ’49 -53)

Thanks again

Robert

They probably all used rope seals with better results than you are having:). Even the nailheads used a rope seal in the timing cover. If you measure the shaft and housing size, a rubber seal may match. For instance I use a seal made for the Buick 455 in my 322 nailheads.

Willie

Robert, that was originally a cork seal. There is no upgrade that I know of. Also, the rope seal length that comes in gasket kits is not long enough pack in there. I had to buy a foot of 5/16" square rope seal and then bunch it up and pack it in the slot.

I hate to comment about cars I'm not totally familiar with - however on my 2 1938's (Special and Roadmaster.) that originally had rope and leaky seals, I found a seal at a local bearing house that fit the crank pulley and was a bit oversize for the rope seal hole and machined the cover to accept the new seal. An easy job. It has been leak free for more than 25 years.

Don