Very much OT.

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Hey guys.

If you're having trouble sleeping or burning the midnight oil in the garage on the Buick, and you have the computer nearby, why not have a listen to my radio show? I host the drive show on a music station here in Christchurch, New Zealand, called The Breeze, and we play a mix of newer and older stuff, from Elvis to Michael Buble, to Elton John, Lady Antebellum, The Eagles, The Temptations, etc. And on our Sunday night, we have a country show from 7pm -12mn. I'm on weekdays from 2-7pm, and every 2nd Saturday from 10am-2pm. Been in radio for over 20 years now. Unlike Danny, who does something actually useful for a living. You're all in different time zones, so I don't know what our times are to yours, but as I type this and post, it will be about 6:40pm our time.

If you open the link, you can see where it says Listen Live. Click on that, and enjoy!

Home - Christchurch - Regions - The Breeze

Yes, we sound funny, and yes, we talk fast!

Cheers

Grant

Grant,

I'll be glad to listen, if you tell me when the "old timey bluegrass" comes on.

Us mountain folk need our "fix' every day, but nothing after 1959 please.

And none of that whiney a** cowboy stuff comming out of Nashville today.

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

Funny story Mike..... the company that I worked for wanted to get a foothold in our biggest city, Auckland,in the early 90's, so we bought a Country and Western station, and promptly brought in an American consultant who advised us the "new country" was the way to go, and to drop the western. So out went all the cowboy songs, and in came Garth Brooks, etc. We had a TV ad made, (which I'd love to find online, as it was quite funny) and off we went full of confidence! And the result? We halved the audience! Doh!

About the same time, when we launched our Morefm brand in Auckland, we changed our positioning statement to "More music in the middle of the road" because when asked about their music preferences, people would say they liked middle of the road stuff. HOWEVER...... it turned out that it was the same as me saying I'm an old bugger, which is fine coming from me, but when I'm told that by someone else, it's a bit offensive! We worked out that every time one of our TV ads played, we lost around 3000 listeners. I believe the Harvard Business School use it as an example of one of the worst campaigns ever!

Cowboy goes to a German car dealership and says, "Audi".

Cheers

Grant

Grant.

And a great big audi to you too.

My collection is made up mostly of OLD Stanly Bro's gospel, some Flatt & Scrugs, and a bit of Charlie and Ira Lovuren (sp?)

Lately I've fallen in love with "the trio", especially Emmy Lou Harris. You have got to listen to her version of "Making Believe".

Though I do play some old Hank Williams at the local car shows, drives the "kids" nuts............. It's from the '40's you know.

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

I believe they play Barry Manilow in known trouble spots around towm. Drives the kids away! Now Mike, your assignment today/night is to research Tex Morton!

BTW, if anyone's interested, I'm on air now.

Cheers

Grant

Grant, I just listened for about 30 mins and you didn't mention your Buick *once*! What's up with that?

Seriously, it sounds great! I put you all on my bookmark toolbar so I can listen as I browse the Forum stuff in the late evening (you come on about 10 pm here). Our Country and Western stations in the East dropped the Western about 30 years ago, but it is good to listen to some of the old Sons of the Pioneers stuff.

Mike, you must mean the Louven Brothers. I have a good friend here who records a lot of the current Bluegrass acts in this area (DC is still a hotbed) and he is pretty expert on it all. He runs Patuxent Records and also his own band. His mentor was Buzz Busby who taught him the mandolin.

Cheers, Dave

Grant, I just listened for about 30 mins and you didn't mention your Buick *once*! What's up with that?.......
One time I heard about the taking of the Corvette to the painters. Not sure how many listeners were really interested in that [back to 3ZB]

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Grant:

I'm listening in Texas right now - great station! I have bookmarked it as a favorite and will try to catch your show when you're on the air. Unfortunately it's 10:00 am here (3:00 am tomorrow there) and you're not on the air right now. I scrolled down on your page on the station website and saw the "Prancercise" video - my son has that posted on his Facebook page and I told him it really should be called "Skankercise". :eek:

Have a bit of trouble understanding the accent of Kiwis on the commercials - they don't sound like they grew up anywhere near Muleshoe, Texas! :rolleyes:

I DJ'ed a couple of years while in college but that was a while back - the Beatles had just appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.

G'day Mate to all our Kiwi Buick friends down under! :cool:

Here's something you might want to post on your personal website from a Texas Grandpop:

dbos.jpg

Or something more car related:

flowcharth.jpg

Unfortunately they left out the baling wire!

Fred

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Fred, that's cool! And thanks for checking us out!

Looking at that flow chart, are you sure you're not a Kiwi? My good friend in Houston has trouble understanding me because we talk too fast. I offered to speak in a Texan accent for him.........He got me into supporting the Houston Texans! So I have a soft spot for the Lone Star state, and it's my ambition to make it there one day. Once thing settle down here after all our earthquakes.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Tania Burgess? There should be a picture on her page on the Breeze site. I broadcast from Christchurch and she does the network night show from Auckland for the whole country, so I've never actually met her! I may have spoken to her on the phone once. She seems nice. Back to work today after the whole weekend off. A bit sore though after playing rugby yesterday. The mind is twenty, and 220lb, but the body is 50 next year and 185. And today, it feels twice that!

Cheers

Grant

I love rugby, but after moving here and hooking up with a new club, I suffered an Achilles injury. After hobbling for something over 6 months, I decided that my body wasn't in good enough condition to continue playing.

My son started with his high school rugby program this spring, but decided to give it up after suffering a concussion in practice.

Guest Grant Magrath

Glad you enjoy a bit or rugby Derek! Sorry about the achilles. I've been lucky so far with injuries, although as I write this, my body is aching pretty bad from the game on Sunday. Problem is, as I approach 50, my brain still thinks I'm 20, and 230lbs. The reality is much different, yet I still think I can play that way!

My kids aren't sports minded, but quite musical. So maybe a neck strain from excessive head banging......

Glad your son has reconsidered after a concussion. Repeated head injuries have been linked to suicide in later years. And anyway, working on cars is waaaay more fun!

Cheers

Grant

Tonight I just found out that the high school team is making a trip to South Africa...of course that is basically the varsity team and a few spares. Instead, the boy is going on a trip to Spain / Italy in spring break (including the Ferrari museum). Daughter is going on a literary trip to London at the same time. Now, if we could pawn off the youngest, we'd have a nice quiet week at the end of March.

Guest Grant Magrath

Jeez, you northern hemisphereians have it good with your travel! I have friends in Houston who take off to Europe all the time. The Aussies think nothing of hitting Thailand, Bali, etc. Us poor Kiwis have Rarotonga, Fiji, Australia.......maybe it's not so bad after all!

Cheers

Grant

Well, when we hit between -30 and -40 Celsius every winter, one does have an urge to get away, at least for a bit. These are merely opportunities for the teens that came up through school. I have yet to be off the North American continent, but it is just a matter of time before that happens.

Guest Grant Magrath

Danny, I'd be living on the Gold Coast if I could! NZ's heading down a path I'm not comfortable with I'm afraid.

And Derek, I've only ventured into the northern hemisphere once, on a short work trip to Penang in Malaysia.

Anyhoo, here's a clip from last weekend.

All Blacks vs France 2nd Test 2013 - YouTube

THAT'S how you play rugby!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Well worth it Derek! Having said that, I think the last All Blacks game I went to was NZ vs France in 2003, and I was working there as the ground announcer. Having said that, I go to quite a few Crusader games here in Christchurch. They have these guys dressed as crusaders in armor riding around the field on horses waving swords to a piece of Vangelis music, Conquest of Paradise. Spine tingling.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Cool!

Here's my favourite.........

We're a nation of few words. One's usually enough......

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

TV? We're the same Derek. Of course, I'd never turn down a TV ad voiceover! Watched the All Blacks game last night. Wasn't spectacular, after last weeks effort against the French, but, a win's a win.

Cheers

Grant