Taillight haze

Guest Fleish

Guest Fleish

Has anyone tried the headlight haze removal system on the Reatta plastic taillight lens? The next logical question is did it work?

Not sure which haze removal system you're referring to. To prep for the Reatta Rally in a few days, I recently cleaned the taillights using PlastX (Amazon.com: Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish -10 oz.: Automotive). Using light pressure, rub it into the taillight lens using a 100% cotton towel, a cotton applicator or a microfiber towel. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wipe it off - works great. Apply a thin coat - anything more is a waste. If it's been a while since you cleaned the lens, you may want to apply 2-3 times. Also, be careful of the B-U-I-C-K letters. Work around the letters - don't get product on the letters.

Guest Richard D

Just about all of them look good for about 3 to 5 months here in Miami. My next thing to try is the Doctor Detail or something like that. They got the owner of Count's Customs from the History show Counting Cars. He seems like a guy who money does not matter to him as much as perfect restorations and he does say it will last about one year. They sell it at Wallgreens, CVS, and most FLAPS for $14.95 I might give it a try next time I pull the light bar to replace tail lamps.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

I never use those headlight restorer kits. I'm too cheap! :) Instead, I use an old school approach. I buy the polishing compound in the green plastic tub (I think it's made by Turtlewax) It's a white polishing paste. Anyways, I spread it on with one of those round buffing pad and then I start polishing them with a palm size orbiting buffer. You want to make sure you keep polish on the lens while you're working the orbiting buffer. Don't let it get "dry" as it will generate too much friction & heat. Yes, you can do it right on the car. As for the Buick letter area in the center you can simply cut a piece of painters (blue) tape to just cover all the letter, do your buffing and then when you're done peel the tape off and you can then do this area by hand with regular wax. (not polishing compound) I use a soft toothbrush to do this as the letters are chromed plastic and won't take much abuse.

Kit

Guest my3buicks
post-30591-143141949294_thumb.jpgFleish, I just did mine today, I used Meguiar's Scratch X with amazing results. As a seasoned hands on car detailer I would highly recommemd this product. Meguiar's also makes a product PlasticX which I tried first with dissapointing results. Scratch X states it safely removes light scratches and swirls, oxidation & blemishes, bonded contaminants, is clear coat safe and will not leave more scratches than it takes out. So it was the perfect product to remove the oxidation that dulls our lenses. I think one of the key things mentioned is Clear Coat Safe. Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

First off, while new to this forum, I am NOT new to the Reatta. I bought mine in fall 1988 (produced in Oct 1988) and I have kept it all these years. She was a daily driver until 2002 when I properly put her into enclosed long term hibernation. I am now in the process of returning her to her former glory and I have to say that putting her back into use is like finding a favorite old childhood toy. I am taking the Reatta out more often than my C5 vette. Other than having to replace the AC compressor/accumulator/orifice (compressor failed before putting into storage) and a new battery (old one removed before storage), she does not seem to be any worse for the long term storage.

But, back to the thread subject. The absolute BEST product I have ever found for cleaning and restoring the plastic lenses (tail, front) as well as cleaning/polishing paint, is actually a product I ran across years ago from the aviation industry and then again with restoring the mirror gloss to weathered Airstream exteriors. I tried it on paint and was amazed (it clearly is labeled for paint a well as metal). Then I tried it on weathered plastic lenses and could not believe how quickly it cut thru the haze and even after the visible haze seemed to be gone, it continued to remove more haze until the plastic was completely transparent. The product is put out by the NuVite Chemical Compounds Corporation. They make a progression of compounds but the one that works perfectly for restoring plastic lenses is NuShine II Cream Polish - Grade: S Final Finish.

It only takes a VERY, VERY small amount and some elbow grease. No swirl marks, no scratches, nothing except crystal clean transparency. I keep applying a small amount to a clean area on a soft cotton rag (white preferably as then you can see when you have removed all the haze), until the cloth color after working into the plastic is white, not any shade of yuk. Then I apply a layer of Nu Finish polish (stuff in the orange bottle available at wally world) as a protectant.

Here is the website.

Nuvite Chemical Compounds Corporation - Metal Polishing NuShine II System

It is NOT cheap ($53.50 for a one pound jar), but it goes a LONG way and you will be using that jar for years.

post-95875-143142148729_thumb.jpg

David T.

Edited by drtidmore
trivial typo (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Welcome to the Forum David! Glad you finally found your way here.

What took you so long? :confused:

Thanks for the tip.

Brings up a question for the other old time owners:

Is David the longest continuous owner of a Reatta on here?

Might consider allowing spreading continuous ownership out to owners of consecutive Reattas as long as there was no gap in ownership, but he gets extra cred for hanging on to his original one.

Having the Reatta in long term storage for about 10 years and only recently having brought her out of storage and back to life is the main reason I had not discovered this site before now. I simply could NOT bring myself to part with her and I KNEW sooner or later, that the unique nature of the Reatta would make her a collectors item (yea, I know we are all more or less waiting for that status still). I remember my parents saying that they wish to high heavens that they had NEVER sold the Model A that they owned as newly weds (I was a late in life addition to the family), so I hung onto her for all these years.

David T

Guest Mc_Reatta

So we may have to take some points away since yours wasn't on the road continuously.

Will wait to see who approaches a ~25 year period of ownership like you have to figure out who wins the prize. Any competitors out there?