1932 Packard Light 8

Guest shirley Farris

Guest shirley Farris

Anyone out there can help with removing extractor broken off in head of my Packard while trying to remove broken stud? The extractor is broken with a upward protruding piece, if was flat think we could maybe drill it? Bought set of tools that have fingers to go beside extractor but they just bend. Greatly appreciate suggestions. Thanks Shirley

Find the process of de hardening steel on the internet, after this make it happen and make a drill leading form, attach this firmly, to prevent the drill going wide.

Find a diamond drill of the right dimension and grind this in a way it is usable for steel, most diamond drill are for concrete and the are grinded differently.

Take your time Johan

I agree with Restorer32, don't use extractors. I have found working on old cars full time for 35 years there are few case the extractor is useful. I have found if the stud or bolt is rusted or seized the chance an extractor will remove it is very slim. I have had to solve this problem many times from a customers home repair or an accident in the shop from a tech. You can't drill a broken drill bit, tap or an extractor as the are very hardened steel. I have the best results from using a much smaller drill bit to drill some relieves around the broken item. Then tap it loose and remove it. Being careful not to open the hole any larger than possible. As you will the need to insert, thread repair, or put in a over sized stud.

The best solution is the most skilled and careful person with the best drill bits, drill right down the middle and carefully work your way up in sizes. Most of the time you can clean the hole with a tap and not have to do a thread repair.

Good luck, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

If you have access to a tig welder you can anneal it with the heat, then weld a nice knob on top of it. Just as soon as the "red" goes away from the knob of weld, start spinning it out. The heat from the weld will soften what was stuck in the 1st place. Tedious, requires patience and some tig knowledge, but almost 100% success rate.

I missed a zero in my original reply, sorry...

Edited by Highlander160 (see edit history)