'57 ROADMASTER - not mine but near me

Guest Rob McDonald

Guest Rob McDonald

This fine looking 1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73 will be sold at auction tomorrow, in Nisku Alberta, just south of Edmonton - http: //www.rbauction.com/1957-buick-roadmaster?invId=3739715&id=ci. The auctioneer, Ritchie Bros, is known worldwide for peddling heavy industrial equipment but they've gathered several collectible cars for this sale. Although this one's authentic colours are unfortunate, imo, it seems to be a turn-key entry to the wonderful world of Buick motoring.

post-59990-143141942572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks
post-30591-143141944927_thumb.jpgThe lower color appears to be Jade which would make this an early car I believe, Jade was phased out quickly in the run. My 57 was Jade over the mint green. I would agree on the Roadmasters color combo.

Guest Rob McDonald

I'm glad there's room in the hobby for every off-beat colour scheme. I sent a message to the auction house, asking what this beauty sold for. Will relay if I get an answer.

DALE, the over-the-top roof trim (literally!) actually defined a separate model number of '57 Roadmaster. 4-doors with the trim were Model 73 and, without it, they were Model 73A. Likewise, the 2-doors were Models 76 and 76A. Personally (and will the utmost respect), I think it suits single-colour cars better than two-tones, on which there's maybe too much going on. Relatively few Roadmaster 75s had the roof trim installed. It seemed to become less popular as the model year went on. No clue if there was a list price difference and I'm unaware if it effects current pricing.

There's some misinformation going around, still supported by the occasional sloppy article in the hobby press, that a three-piece rear window was used with this special roof trim. Not so. Exterior and interior trims were overlaid on a one-piece wrap-around window. This glass was shared with the 73A and 76A Roadys, with Buick Supers, and with '57 Cadillacs, which used the same Fisher C-body.

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow.

This two-tone green Roadmaster Model 73 sold for $37,000. It's nice but it's clearly no show car. That's two-thirds higher that NADA's High Retail value of $22,400, which represents a freshly restored 400 point car. I gotta assume that two guys with deep pockets happened to be in the same room that day and both were compelled to own that car. Congratulations to a satisfied seller and a proud buyer.

NOTE TO SELF: do not try to buy a car at auction in oil-rich Alberta.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Wow.

This two-tone green Roadmaster Model 73 sold for $37,000. It's nice but it's clearly no show car. That's two-thirds higher that NADA's High Retail value of $22,400, which represents a freshly restored 400 point car. I gotta assume that two guys with deep pockets happened to be in the same room that day and both were compelled to own that car. Congratulations to a satisfied seller and a proud buyer.

NOTE TO SELF: do not try to buy a car at auction in oil-rich Alberta.

Wow! It just might be worth the cost of transport to take a car up there to sell at the next one!