Diving an unregistered car from FL to KY....

Lebowski

Roger,

The original poster asked a question. He got a link to the Florida DMV site with easy inexpensive instructions to be able to drive his newly purchased car in the first reply, in less than an hour. I too wonder why the discussion continues but he asked a question and got a good legal answer here. Most of the replies were "responsible". Hopefully this discussion will end some time soon. This dead horse has been beaten enough...

Guest Dr. Strangelove

Lebowski: I once drove a vintage car, a 35 year old Pontiac (at the time) from PA to NC. Just like you, I had the need for adventure. Flew up to PA on a one way ticket before that one way ticket bought you extra scrutiny from the TSA AND before I had a cell phone. Everything worked out fine, car ran beautifully, the weather cooperated and I received a lot of thumbs up as I drove my 'new' car home. Got it in my drive way where I had to get the car into my side-loader garage, requiring lots of steering (manual) to the stops. Heard a pop - then the steering wheel free-wheeled in my hands. The 'rag-joint' broke with pieces laying in the drive....!!! I just drove this unfamiliar car over 400 miles, at freeway speeds and narrowly avoided a BIG EVENT that had all the elements of a fatal accident. It may burn a lot of fuel, take longer and not satisfy your inner-self, but take it from me, towing a trailer to and from the seller and hauling your vintage prize home is far better than a trip to the hospital or the morgue .....

Do us all a favor. DO NOT put the t-tag on the car. Simply leave it on the front seat and make the trip. It's still an adventure but a much safer one.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

While I'm the one who pointed out the option of using a temporary trip tag, so obviously I'm not advocating not using one, how does having a piece of paper have anything to do with "safety"???

Does putting a temp tag on a car with bald tires and bad brakes make it safer somehow?

Guest 37Packard

Lebowski made it back with no problem. He left the Tampa area around 3:30 PM Friday and stopped for the night 60 miles south of Atlanta. He left at 5 the next morning and got home just before 2 PM yesterday. The car ran fine at 65 mph the whole way and there was no rain at all either day. Acquiring the temporary registration went smoothly too. He would like to thank all those who passed along positive comments.... :)