Dodge engine for Graham Bros. truck

Guest dougklink

Guest dougklink

I'm looking for an engine for a 1927 (I think) Graham Bros fire engine. I have just the block, which has 5 main bearings, so it looks like it is a 1927 or later 212 cu. in. Dodge engine.

Does anyone have a lead on an engine for this truck?

How late did they make the 212 cu. in. that is correct for this truck?

Thanks

Guest dougklink

Ok, thank you for checking. I restore fire trucks but this is the first Graham so I don't have a good feel for how difficult it is to find these Dodge engines?

Guest dougklink

This one is a 4 cylinder and the radiator shell is round on top. Your radiator shell almost looks like a Packard, plus it's a six cylinder so I have no idea what year it is.

Hey Doug, I was recalling this thread just now, you may want to contact the owner who started it, he would be the one who can probably answer what the correct engine was for that fire truck you posted a pic of if not he may be able to point you in the right direction. Here's the link to that thread, his name is Jason goes by the screen name 1930. Good luck http://forums.aaca.org/f143/dodge-brothers-graham-brothers-trucks-282804.html

Hi Dave, I thought we somewhat determined that to be an early attempt at a ratrod of sorts ? If I recall I had the radiator pegged as a Buick, the manifold, headlights and fan blades don't seem correct (ouch, fan buried into the back of that radiator), so I'm guessing it could be a lot of misfit parts thrown together, may even be another chassis from a completely different manufacture which would explain why you can't locate the frame number.

Doug, As for the 4 cylinder GB truck on topic it should look something like this when finished correct ? I believe your radiator and other things may be different though : 1927 Fire Engine: Almont, MI Fire Dept | Flickr - Photo Sharing! finding a photo of the correct engine that went in one of those may only be found in old Graham Brothers literature and maybe even a book like this I found a while back on the big board Antique Vintage Graham Brothers Special Equipment Information Guide Binder Book | eBay

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

O well, better luck next time. I have a old truck back in the yard with a 4 cyl. I'll check it tomorrow. We have about 40 trucks from the late 20s to 40s. Dodges only.

Did you ever find a frame and engine # for the mystery truck? If so could you submit them. They give a lot of information.

There were two five main bearing engines available around 1926-27. One used a multiple disk clutch which had a prefix C in the serial number, and the other had a single disk clutch and had the prefix D in the serial number. The rear engine mounts were different on the two as well.

There were two five main bearing engines available around 1926-27. One used a multiple disk clutch which had a prefix C in the serial number, and the other had a single disk clutch and had the prefix D in the serial number. The rear engine mounts were different on the two as well.

Hi Bob, you have me curious about something... Can you tell us what models those two five bearing engines may have went in ? From the MPB I show model codes of BD, DDT, ID, LD, MD, and SD. Were their more models or are those the only models that either of the two five bearings you mentioned listed under? Any information may also help answer other questions of the original topic.

I think I have figured it out. It looks to me like the crankhole was cut later. Can you verify that it is a factory type stamped hole or roughly cut/added? I have never seen one that is only half way into the shell and half way into the splash apron.

post-78906-143141943126_thumb.jpgMore pictures of the of the yellow truck. From the castings on the block, I would guess its a 27. When was the 1st year for hyd brakes? As you can see in the pictures, it has hyd brakes. The 25 truck we have has the mech brakes. The rad shell is cobled into this truck. Going to try to get #s tomorrow, have to pull the manifold of to try to find #s

post-78906-143141942707_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141942726_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141942734_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141942742_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141942745_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141942754_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314194304_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943049_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943063_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943072_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314194308_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943089_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943097_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943105_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943108_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141943117_thumb.jpg

More pictures of the of the yellow truck. From the castings on the block, I would guess its a 27. When was the 1st year for hyd brakes? As you can see in the pictures, it has hyd brakes. The 25 truck we have has the mech brakes. The rad shell is cobled into this truck. Going to try to get #s tomorrow, have to pull the manifold of to try to find #s

Motor number should be on manifold side of engine above the valve cover plate at front of engine.

The frame number will be above front spring hanger on the drivers side. Looks like there is a lot of paint that is covering it. The frame number should have a D, E, or S prefix.

My Dodge Bros is a 1928 "E" series. I noticed that your cowling is smooth on the sides. My truck has a raised belt line that runs from door supports to the firewall. I believe yours is not an "E" series truck. The frame number would confirm that.

Great pictures for reference.

Edited by stakeside (see edit history)

I have the sneaking suspicion that it is not a Dodge truck.....those front fenders are definitely not Dodge, but they fit so well to the frame. At least I have never seen those fenders on a Dodge truck. I welcome an education.

I have the sneaking suspicion that it is not a Dodge truck.....those front fenders are definitely not Dodge, but they fit so well to the frame. At least I have never seen those fenders on a Dodge truck. I welcome an education.

Keiser31 and countrytravler, from my copy of the Graham Brothers sales man hand book dated May29 1929 the engine and gear box look like they are from 2 and 3 ton and coach power plants with four speed transmissions. the diff looks like a Timken rear axle. They are shown as being manufactured by Dodge Brothers and sold under the name of Graham Brothers. regards bob

Oops....I meant Graham truck.

Keiser31 and countrytravler, from my copy of the Graham Brothers sales man hand book dated May29 1929 the engine and gear box look like they are from 2 and 3 ton and coach power plants with four speed transmissions. the diff looks like a Timken rear axle. They are shown as being manufactured by Dodge Brothers and sold under the name of Graham Brothers. regards bob

I still believe this to be a Senior 6 which was used in the larger Dodge/graham trucks.

It definitely is not a DA 6. I have only two valve covers on my 29 DA 6 and this has three.

We need a frame number. This should be on the title if available.

I think this was a donor car. No title and frame to rusted to get #S. Also the engine mount has 2 bosses in front for the mount on the truck. The DA6 has a cross bracket for the front mount. I just had a customer buy 2 (graham or D.B. trucks) that are going to be roded. Will have parts for sale.attachmentsDownload all attachments View all images Share all images [TABLE=class: cf hr]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.0&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

44K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: cf hr]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

40K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.2&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

33K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.3&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

33K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.4&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

36K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.5&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

38K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.6&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

39K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.7&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

42K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.8&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

41K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: hw]?ui=2&ik=9ef8dbb386&view=att&th=13f40093ac2cd4d3&attid=0.9&disp=thd&zw[/TD]

[TD]image.jpeg

34K View Share Download [/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: cf gz ac3]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]cleardot.gif Reply

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]cleardot.gif Forward

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: io]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: cf FVrZGe]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: amq]no_photo.png[/TD]

[TD=class: amr]Click here to Reply or Forward

<input class="amp" type="text">[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Why this ad?Ads –

New RAM 3500

"I'm looking for an engine for a 1927 (I think) Graham Bros fire engine. I have just the block, which has 5 main bearings, so it looks like it is a 1927 or later 212 cu. in. Dodge engine." can you post a photo of the front cross member and the clutch? I would then be able to identify the engine. Or post the engine serial number.

Edited by Bob Scafani (see edit history)