'36 Dodge hood ornament face removal

35cz8

I seem to remember, a while back, a post about removing the face and horns from a 1936 Dodge hood ornament but can't find the info now. Does anyone know how to do this as I have a nice ram face with full horns but a broken base and I now have a good base with broken horns and want to make one good one. Thanks.

I remember the post too but cannot find it. from memory the head of the ram slides up. the body has a "V" shaped end to it and the head has a female v shape so one slides onto the other and locks in place. I also remember the guy saying that if they have been together a while they are a bit tough to get apart.

i'll keep looking for you and post if I find it.

Cheers

Ian

The face does slide into the body from the top. It may be difficult to remove it because it's difficult to support the piece sufficiently to get a good solid blow to free it. You don't want to tap it too hard for fear of causing more damage. If all else fails and you have all the pieces, a good plater can repair it for plating. Good luck!

Here is a face that I was just brave enough to remove from a cap base. The horns were of course, broken, so it was no loss as far as the face goes. The real test will be if I can remove the nice face from the broken body and put it on the cap that I just removed the broken face from. The face was cast around two mounting pins and pressed onto the base cap.

post-37352-143141934056_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141934065_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141934073_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143141934081_thumb.jpg

Yes, a screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers to gently tap the screwdriver into the top crack. I will have to figure out a gentler way to separate the better face from the body.

Thanks for the info guys, I don't know if I want to try this or not LOL. Like I said, I have a good face and horns on one that is missing the rear sliding lug on the bottom of the base. (does that make any sense?) Anyway, the rest of the ornament is not bad so it may be better to see id I can find someone to replace the rear lug rather than risk breaking a good set of horns. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Thanks for the info guys, I don't know if I want to try this or not LOL. Like I said, I have a good face and horns on one that is missing the rear sliding lug on the bottom of the base. (does that make any sense?) Anyway, the rest of the ornament is not bad so it may be better to see id I can find someone to replace the rear lug rather than risk breaking a good set of horns. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Do you have photos of yours that you can post?

Do you have photos of yours that you can post?

I will try to get some pics of mine and put them on so you can see what I have to work with. I am in no big hurry to change out the face as I am still a long ways away from needing to install the hood ornament LOL.

When I had mine re-plated, the plater used a screwdriver to gently pry the head off. No hammers or pounding required! Just work it from the sides and it comes off!

Was your the type with the two pins or the wedge/lock type?

For what it's worth here's the back of a head for the late '31 to '34 ram. I don't know if they changed the design for the '36, but this one has pegs...not V-shaped connectors.

Here are a couple shots of the head removed from a '36 ornament...

post-67404-143141955644_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143141955635_thumb.jpg