63 Riv, Raise the rear end an inch or two

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Hey folks,

I would like to raise the rear end of my car an inch or two. Anybody got any ideas how to do it. It just has the standard factory springs and shocks currently. Please see pix. Thankspost-85701-143141931586_thumb.jpg

You are squatting a little, but not much:

018.jpg

My car has recent suspension bushings, all new springs, gas shocks, and the correct 7.10 X 15 tires. The rocker panel is parallel to the garage floor on the level. I also have new body mounts.

First check the body mounts at the high point of the frame above the rear axle. They tend to carry the most body weight and get compressed after 50 years. New, the mount is about 2". If it is original it is squashed down to about 1/2". Change that pair and it will make the most difference. Next is the springs. Don't skimp on price. I bought a cheap pair of rear springs in the '80's and rear seat passengers got nose bleeds. The ones on it now were about $200 or so for the pair, as I remember they came from New Jersey, a specialty company.

The rear oval body mounts stay in good shape. The ones behind the rear wheels should be checked.

You can also lose a 1/2" height on the rear control arm bushings. Over years the rubber can compress.

Hmmmm, I could have made that shorter- check all the rubber that squashes from holding you car up for 50 years.

Bernie

Guest Steeleco

Hey Johnrex,

Do you have model number or brand for the air shocks you are talking about. It this was the late 60's or early 70's I would know where to get them but not any more.

Thanks

Guest Steeleco

I know I'll get some flack here but do these kind of things work or do they just screw up the springs. Seem's like I tried to use these in the 70' and can't remember if they worked or not.post-85701-143141932855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steeleco (see edit history)