Sign in to follow this  
gr8scott

Transmission symptom...

('89 Coupe, 75K mi) Not sure if it's an issue, but I want to bounce it off you guys to see what you think. It occurs when traveling at a constant speed of 40-50 whether or not in Overdrive. Then, either starting a slight uphill, or just wishing to accelerate a tad, the transmission seems to "stutter", like that slight bump one feels when it shifts gears... except that it doesn't shift. Like it's hesitating whether to shift to a lower gear. On regular acceleration, like freeway on-ramp, it shifts smoothly through the gears to cruising speed. It's only at lower speeds that this occurs. Fluid level is fine, appears normal color, with slight bubbling on the stick that goes away in a second or two. Does any of this help in pointing to the source of the problem? (Not a problem presently, but I want to head it off in case this is an early symptom.) Appreciate your thoughts and input.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Thinking the TCC solenoid cutting out or TV cable adjustment. When you push harder does it indeed downshift?

Bubbles in fluid show that the anti-foaming agent in the fluid is failing and the fluid should be changed. Or that the fluid is overfull. But you stated that the fluid level is correct. Probably won't fix the strange shifting, tho.

TCC trying to engage and failing will feel like that but should set a code. If no code I'd look at secondary ignition.

Thinking the TCC solenoid cutting out or TV cable adjustment. When you push harder does it indeed downshift?

I didn't want to break anything, so I didn't press it. I'll take it out in the morning and try to recreate the event on the same stretch of road, and see if it does downshift. I'll also check to see whether a code has been set.

Stupid Question of the Day: what's TCC?

I finally got around to clearing the codes and taking it out on a road-test along the same routes where the issue surfaced before. This time I wasn't able to reproduce any of the jerking/hesitating/bumpy symptoms. In answer to a previous question, if I press down on the gas, downshift is smooth as is acceleration. I'll continue to be on the lookout for any repeats though. I've reset the codes, and after a roughly four mile drive of up to 65mph ran diagnostics again, with "No ECm Codes" and "No BCM codes" results. As always, thanks for the pointers.