Oakland/Pontiac transmission

Guest vacabill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The emblem on the side is certainly Oakland. Same emblem as on my Pontiac Block and Differential. You realize of course that 29-32 Pontiacs used a Chevrolet transmission case but with different gears because of the shorter stroke engine. I have never seen an Oakland transmission but this certainly could be one.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wayne_Koffel

Your transmission appears to be a 1931 Oakland transmission that somebody has appeared to put an overdrive unit on. It is definitely a 31 Oakland trans.

Guest vacabill
Your transmission appears to be a 1931 Oakland transmission that somebody has appeared to put an overdrive unit on. It is definitely a 31 Oakland trans.

thanks,,,now is there anyone out there that needs it

Guest Wayne_Koffel

It definitely has the design details of a 31 Oakland trans, however as I stated previously, it has been altered. First of all, the shield logo indicates that it could be no earlier than 1928 as Oakland didn't cast the shield into anything before that year. Secondly the two protruding supports for the trans to the frame only were made for 1930-31 and possibly for a 32 Pontiac that used parts designed for what should have been a 32 Oakland. Third, this vintage of trans is the only Oakland trans that used two bolts per side to bolt it to the frame. Upon further inspection the casting date of the trans appears to be 1-12-32 so it could possibly be a design change intended for a 32 Oakland and used in a 32 Pontiac instead. Additionally, it appears as though major welding has taken place to the initial trans housing. So while it is NOT a trans that would have been used on a 31 Oakland, it IS an Oakland trans whose design was based on a 31 Oakland transmission. Having just come from my garage and having matched the picture to the transmissions I have, the casting number of 553511 is consistent with numbers on transmissions I have. Maybe someone with an early Pontiac parts book could find this number.