I need some help and advice for my new friend, AJFord54, on here.

Shop Rat

This is what he sent to me. I don't know what to tell him :confused:, but I know for sure that one of you do. :D

"One final point I wanted to make and I'll ask your advise - I changed out my heater hose clamps from the ones made for 1955-56 and up back to the correct spring style clamps just before the meet. I have always hated them as they leak. Sure enough, I had anti-freeze running out at the one clamp. I know originality is job #1 on our cars, but I also know there are exceptions: ie: seatbelts, electric fuel pumps before '48, etc. Has there ever been talk about allowing the other type of clamps, as the spring loaded are just plain junk in my humble opinion. In fact, I'm sure that's why they were discontinued. It seems totally silly to have to change them for judging and then change them back to drive it home."

Guest cben09

I didn't hear that the hoses were changed,,,,

If they are old enough to get hard,,,then the clamp would need extra pressure

to make them conform to the heater pipe,,and the other clamps are unable to

provide that extra clamping force Hence a leak,,,

Anti freeze has less film strength,,,and is more prone to leak than water,,just an aside,,

Cheers,,Ben

I would suggest replacing the hose that is leaking with a new correct replacement hose, with the original clamp carefully tightened. The other option is to leave the incorrect (but effective) clamp and just give up the point for that clamp. Only the owner can decide which way he wants to deal with the issue.

I didn't hear that the hoses were changed,,,,If they are old enough to get hard,,,then the clamp would need extra pressure to make them conform to the heater pipe,,and the other clamps are unable to provide that extra clamping force Hence a leak,,,Anti freeze has less film strength,,,and is more prone to leak than water,,just an aside,,Cheers,,Ben
I would suggest replacing the hose that is leaking with a new correct replacement hose, with the original clamp carefully tightened. The other option is to leave the incorrect (but effective) clamp and just give up the point for that clamp. Only the owner can decide which way he wants to deal with the issue.
Ditto! Only a new hose will work once you use a screw clamp on it for any period of time, hose takes a "set". New hose old clamp. You might get lucky by trimming end off hose. Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

If it's a single wire spring clamp you can try to put a little more tension on it in a vise, just don't go to the point of making it oval. I always used #2 non hardening Permatex on coolant connections with no problems. If the leak is at the heater core check for a misshaped connector first. If the hose is hard it needs to be replaced.