AC question

Finfan1

My AC stopped working a few weeks ago and I noticed the clutch is not spinning. The Reatta is not a daily driver so I'm not in a big hurry to get it in the shop. Last time I took the car out I also noticed the Bi-Level and Econ buttons are not working. I was wondering if the temp control could be the reason the AC is not working.

I already tried disconnecting the battery and hitting the clutch with a hammer. 1990 Reatta

You are probably just very low on freon and the compressor has been locked out to protect it. You should check to see what BCM codes you have stored for clues as to what is going on.

How To Access ECM, BCM & CRT Codes - Reatta Owners Journal

Here is more info that will be helpful.

Repair Tips, Tutorials & Information - Reatta Owners Journal

You can jump the terminals of the compressor relay (located by the air cleaner) to verify that the clutch works.

If the clutch works, then you are probably low on refrigerant

The pushbuttons inside the car often stop working on 1990-91 cars from old age or dirt. The assembly can be taken apart and the contacts cleaned. Do a search to find instructions.

Guest Mc_Reatta
I just checked the codes and looks like 2 came up - b447c and b552h. So the b447c looks like I have a leak. I will look into checking the clutch.

Don't bother. B447 will lock out compressor until it is cleared.

Indicates very low freon charge, but enough to trip pressure switch or it would give code B448

I picked up some 134a Freon to add and the Freon level is in the yellow - Alert. I disconnected the battery again and when I start the car the clutch turns on and off a few times for about one minute then the service AC light comes on and the clutch never moves again.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Hard to know how bad a leak you have from here. May have to repeat the process of clearing code and adding freon several more times until you get enough in to keep code from setting. Of course if it's leaking out as quickly as your putting it in,

you'll never get there.

It looks like I have too much Freon in the system - the gauge on the Freon container is in the yellow - Alert. Do you still want me to try to add more? I also didn't clear any codes unless I did each time I disconnect the battery.

Are you adding freon with the compressor running.? The compressor must be running for you to know if you are overcharged or not. Did you try any of the options given on my website for keeping the compressor running while you fill the system with freon?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Yes, each time you disconnected the battery you cleared the codes.

Low side pressure has to be read when the compressor is running. So yellow alert reading is meaningless in that respect. Without the compressor running it is indicating the static pressure. Being in the yellow is actually a good sign that you don't have a large leak that would keep you from getting it charged.

As a rule of thumb, static pressure will be around 100 psi in a charged system. But other than indicating system can maintain some charge, it is meaningless in setting the charge level. That is done with the low side pressure when the compressor is running and engine is revving ~ 1500 RPM with a extra fan blowing air thru the condenser simulating driving down the road about 40 MPH.

It worked - fan and rpms at 1500 - AC light if off and sweet cold air is coming out ....just took about a 30 minute ride. I wanted to make sure it wasn't overfilled with Freon before I added more. Thanks for the help!