Valve guide Replacement

Guest imoore

Guest imoore

Hi

I have a set of NOS valve guide for my plymouth Q. Just wondering what the method of removal and installation is. Once valves out is it a matter of making a punch and pressing each guide out and then pressing new ones in. Or is there more involved..

Also if the valves are good would i need to recut the seats due to new guides

Thanks Ian

Hi

I have a set of NOS valve guide for my plymouth Q. Just wondering what the method of removal and installation is. Once valves out is it a matter of making a punch and pressing each guide out and then pressing new ones in. Or is there more involved..

Also if the valves are good would i need to recut the seats due to new guides

Thanks Ian

No disrespect but this is not a job for a novice, unless you have experience with reamers etc. you should give the job to a professional. But as you have asked, then the process for removal is to apply some serious heat to the guide area, chill the guide and then press out the old guide; replacement is to again apply heat whislt chilling the guide and then quickly inserting it, let everything cool then ream the guide to size; accuracy during guide insertion and reaming is critical.

No disrespect but this is not a job for a novice, unless you have experience with reamers etc. you should give the job to a professional. But as you have asked, then the process for removal is to apply some serious heat to the guide area, chill the guide and then press out the old guide; replacement is to again apply heat whislt chilling the guide and then quickly inserting it, let everything cool then ream the guide to size; accuracy during guide insertion and reaming is critical.

@Ian:

I did this daily long time ago, to press out the old guides by heating the head is sometimes advantageous, sometimes not,depends on the materials and pre-tension of guides and head. To be sure to avoid scuffing inside the blind bore when pressing out, it might be better to drill the old guide leaving some tenths of material of the guide, the guide will lose its tension and can be removed without damaging the head.This job should be done on a milling machine with the head positioned properly. No job for a novice as hchris stated before. Inserting of new guides will fail if you did it never before. Pre-tension realised by guide oversized diameter has to be considered properly to make sure the guides won´t loosen or oil will leak between guide and head. If the blind bore has to be reworked, its essential to make sure that the bore has no sloped cut when blending into the port, otherwise the guide will come inclined as well after fitting. The blind bore has to be a cylinder without sloped ends.

I hope you´ll got a feeling if you can diy :confused:

Udo