How to Find Who Was Original Owner?

Bill Jewell

Guest groinky

Start with looking at some of the older franklin rosters. These list not only the owners name but also the serial number and engine numbers. Using these numbers trace the previous owners names and give them a call. You will be amazed at the pieces of the cars history that will come out. With the serial number I can search the past owners back to about 1975. Also I know another club member that has the rosters back to 1955. Good luck with your search. Jim

Bill: Are you a HHFC member? Don't see your name in the Roster. If not join right away. groinky mentions the Roster, but that has only names and addresses. You need both the Roster and Register as the Register has the serial and engine numbers and just the owner name and state. If you post your car numbers someone can look up the car IF it has been registered with the Club. I kept the Register (only) for many years when records were kept on index cards which I just added to as ownership changed. I can't imagine these records no longer exist. Usefullness of course depends on the previous owners still being alive and with a current address. For example: of the 2010 membership only 76 were members in 1970.

Another approach is to find out if California has kept all the old registrations and, if so, to see if your ar is listed. Don't know if they would be by serial # or license # but Know this can be done in some states.

Gordon Howard

Guest myold88

A few years ago I tried to trace the current location/owner of my first restoration project from 1972-75.

A '29 Franklin Victoria Brougham. I sold the car on L.I. in '75. I contacted the HHFC and was told I was still the owner !

It's strange how some antique cars can get totally lost..... Anyone seen this car lately ? > 35-192554L21.

If so, I have history info & barn find/restoration info I can pass on free of charge.

Edited by myold88 (see edit history)

Guest groinky

That serial number is listed in the HHFC Register of Franklins as being owned by K. Carson in New York state. This was the last listed owner. Jim Stevenson

Guest myold88

Yes- K. Carson, That's me....... Like I said above, the HHFC records are apparently never updated.

4 or 5 years ago I contacted the HHFC and told the HHFC that I sold the car in 1975, and that I should be removed as the owner.

I guess the wheels turn slowly at the H.H. Franklin club.

I guess the current owner of old my Franklin never joined the Franklin club and is not active in the hobby.

K. Carson, (LKO), for "last known owner", should have been added after your name to indicate that the car had been reported as sold. It would stay that way until a new owner reports ownership to the Registrar. The Club can't do any-thing else until new ownership information is sent TO the club. Keeping ownership up to date is an ongoing problem. It always helps if a seller reports the new owner. Not only does this keep the records current, it enables the club to encourage that person to become a member.

Gordon Howard

Guest myold88

Gordon, Thanks for the above explanation.

I have been unable to find the name of the person I sold the car to back in '75. I did keep the name

of the prior owner, the cowl vin plate, lots of as found barn photos & retoration photos, etc.

Who knows, this car may have left the country.

I purchased my 1930 Franklin from a gentleman in South Carolina in March of 2013. He purchased it from Charles Wilmarth III in 2002. Charles had purchased the "basket-case" vehicle in 1997 from someone in California and was told that was where the car was originally purchased in 1930. The serial number on the car is 45198709L30. Would anyone have any info on prior owners?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, you are probably the only one on here that has 210 page book written about the restoration of their car--with all the photos, what was done etc. It was driven from AZ. to NY for the Trek. You probably bought it from Lloyd Wilson in Anderson, SC. I would like for you to find out how Charles put an alternator on your car. I look at that book and read some at least twice per week to give me inspiration in my 31 project. You CERTAINLY need that book. Name 'Practical Car Restoration' A guidebook with lessons from a 1930 Franklin Rebuild. McFarland & Co. publishers, www.mcfarlandpub.com Charles' address is: 2809 Rawhide Dr

Kingman, AZ 86401 would think that Lloyd would have his cell phone since Charles drove it from Caz to SC for him.::::::: here is the book>>>>> McFarland - a leading independent publisher of academic and nonfiction books

You can read 1/4-1/2 of the book free here>>>>> Practical Car Restoration: A Guidebook With Lessons from a 1930 Franklin Rebuild: III Charles R.Wilmarth: 9780786425112: Amazon.com: Books

post-51030-14314195221_thumb.jpg

Edited by Franklin31 (see edit history)