1928 dictator informationon remove raidator

Guest LINCAB4041

Guest LINCAB4041

I am thinking about removing the radiator on my 1928 Dictator. I find it hard to see just what bolts would come off to remove it. No photos of the mounting. Does the shell stay with the radiator if it does come out for a boil out the clean the core. Thanks for any help on instructions or photos of the process.

The radiator generally is assembled into the radiator shell before mounting. Is is best to pull the assembly, then remove the shell from the radiator to have the radiator worked on. There is an internal metal crossmember riveted across the bottom of the radiator shell with two mounting studs that are used to anchor the assembly onto the chassis crossmember. Stability is achieved from the two crossbrace rods that are attach on each side from the upper shell to the firewall. You may want to get someone to help you lift off the hood before removing the radiator assembly. Once the hood is out of the way, you can remove the two nuts (Note: these may be castle nuts with cotter pins in them.) from the bottom studs. You will need to access the two mounting nuts from beneath the chassis. Then remove the firewall crossbrace rods to allow you to lift out the assembly. Once removed, you can then proceed to remove the flat head machine screws around the perimeter of the radiator shell that are holding the radiator and shell together. Some of the perimeter screws may be concealed under hood lace.

Guest LINCAB4041

Thank you very much for the information. I will look for the bottom studs to get that part done. I see the cross bars and looked at the hood removal. Looks like I have to undo the cross bars to lean the rad forward to get the hood pins out. There does not seem to be any clip, etc. to take off to get the hook pins. Would this be the correct way to get the hood off. I will post when I get the studs loose and try to get the hood off. Thank you.