I Love This Forum! Interaction, Civility and Comraderie.

TexasJohn55

I have made this my home page for awhile now. I have come to enjoy it so much. When questions get posted, they get replies and usually answers. Poor folks at "v8 buick.com" and "Teambuick" post questions, get views but a lot go for months without a response of any kind. I check in with them once in awhile but there is alot less action. I won't join TeamBuick because I don't use Facebook./ One poor guy posted about a leak at his high accumulator on the dynaflow, not one response to help. Depressing. I thought it was time to Officially say THANKS! TexasJohn55 or John or TJ55 or?

Most of the folks on v8Buick either don't know what a Dynaflow is, or have never worked with one. They are mostly mid 60's Buicks and newer. I post most of my older tech questions here...when I had my 71, I would post over there. It's all about what you need to know.

I get great responses to my questions on both forums...it just depends on what I'm asking as to where I post it.

TJ55 I see what you mean. I just found this forum recently. HAMBer's are a bit crude and I am no longer on there. TeamBuick and V8 buick have some good guys but they are a slow bunch to respond especially for the 50's and earlier.

There are a bunch of great folks on this forum. Most everyone is happy to share their joys and sorrows amongst it's members. But I find it surprising that there is not more activity.

Guest Rob McDonald

JOHN, if you're going to try to go all the way from NY to OR for the 2014 National Meet, I'll have no excuse for not coming from Edmonton, which is only 15 hours, 49 minutes away as the Google flies. That's just the sort of challenge I need to get me out to the danged garage.

Guest Caribou
It does seem to come and go. Just not too many projects, I guess.

Ben

Sometimes project milestones can be a long way apart as well.

Think you guys and your 50's cars have it hard getting advice. Try a 1915 model. :eek: As the group ages, less and less knowledgeable folks are still around to help out new comers with their problems. Thinking about it, anyone that was a mechanic, and working on these cars in the Mid 50's when they were new would be around 70 to 80 years old today. Good thing there are some younger guys passing on the information. :D Dandy Dave!

Think you guys and your 50's cars have it hard getting advice. Try a 1915 model. :eek: As the group ages, less and less knowledgeable folks are still around to help out new comers with their problems. Thinking about it, anyone that was a mechanic, and working on these cars in the Mid 50's when they were new would be around 70 to 80 years old today. Good thing there are some younger guys passing on the information. :D Dandy Dave!

You know, I often think about this. In a lot of areas, including our car hobbies. I know it sounds cliche but it's a shame the younger generation is not more interested in how we got to this point. Not that I want it the "way it was" (cause I sure am thankful for technology among other things) but there are life lessons that should be handed down. I often think about asking older relatives if I can record our conversations.

Guest Caribou

I hope the website is properly archived and sustained. I've learned from old threads long after the people posting in them had moved on. It's not hard to imagine someone ten or twenty years from now digging through old threads and picking up valuable information. If we do this right the information, pictures, and discussions here should still be available long after old cars have rusted away to nothing but memories.

Archive properly, and what we have here is worth its weight in gold. Also why I'm glad people bother to document their experiences (successes AND failures) and their restoration processes. I started to document my car's recovery here in the hopes that someone like me would learn from it eventually... it's stalled for now, but I'll be picking it up again when I get back on track.