Correct fan belt length for D-5 w/alternator?

fozz71

Hey Guys, my '37 D-5 motor shredded its ancient fan belt and so I hit NAPA up for a D-5 belt and it is 49" but is too short for my motor with the newer alternator. I practically had to explain everything to get this belt special ordered from the counter fellas, does anyone happen to have a number or measurement in inches for a D-5 with an alternator??? Or know of the model year the alternator was added so I can order the correct size (51" or 52" belt)? Thanks!!! Jim

Hey Guys, my '37 D-5 motor shredded its ancient fan belt and so I hit NAPA up for a D-5 belt and it is 49" but is too short for my motor with the newer alternator. I practically had to explain everything to get this belt special ordered from the counter fellas, does anyone happen to have a number or measurement in inches for a D-5 with an alternator??? Or know of the model year the alternator was added so I can order the correct size (51" or 52" belt)? Thanks!!! Jim

1961 was the first year for the standard alternator setup, but not on a flathead six. It would have been a slant six. I would just take a rope and measure a piece to fit what you need and go to the parts store and match up the diameter.

Why not nix the alternator and go back to the original generator. You don't really need the alt. Seems that this is a popular "improvement", usually by folks that don't feel like correctly repairing their electrical system. Remember, your car was designed to use a generator! JMO

According to my old Gates Rubber catalog , all 6 cylinder engines ('33-'41) used a no. 44 belt. Go to a good NAPA store and give him this number; he should be able to cross reference for belt thickness and length. Then purchase several longer belts of the same thickness and keep which ever one fits best, then return the others. Check the width of the alt. pulley and see if it's close to the width of the crankshaft pulley groove. If it's a little wider it shouldn't matter as long as the belt and the pulley have the same angle. If you can't find an automotive belt that's close enough in length try an industrial or comercial( lawn mower) type belt.