What's with the weak hood springs in '55? Mine won't stay open.

TexasJohn55

My '55 Century hood is the same way. It doesn't stay open all the way. So after bumping my head several times (and "talking to God" for as many times), I developed a patented hood prop made out of a 2" dowel rod. Actually I made two of them, one for the garage and one I threw in the trunk for when on tours.

This is one case where it might be OK to wear a ball cap backwards. It offers a little padding when you bump your head, and you may be able to see what you are about to bump into.

58's are worse. Never work under an open hood with the wind from the rear of those cars...a gust will bring that heavy $%&*@ down on your head.

Willie

Yes, Willie

My 58 scares me every time... It will stay up after I cycle it up and down a little to warm up

the springs! So, I have taken to carrying a collapsable shower rod to prop it open. Have

some remaining "dents" in my noggin from the blasted things!

mike

My '58 will stay up, but prefer a broomstick as back up as it has dropped on me before. OUCH! That sucker's heavy!Wouldn't fresh lube make it worse?
Yep, that's right! Lube does make it easier to close but she flushes up to the cowl and settles in better, just needs stiffer springs to keep it against the stops at full tilt. John

Actually, if you guys didn't have to be under the hood all of the time your hood springs would keep their tension! Ha Ha
.......Yeah, we like to drive ours! Checked your oil lately?Do your wipers and washers work?Is it inspected? Or do you have it up on a big pedestal just to look at and brag on it?:) TexasJohn

Geez John,

With the pedestal argument, his hood would be up all the time wouldn't it?

All joking aside, I saw a 55 hot rod where the builder had put diagonal turnbuckles from the hinge mount on the hood to about eight inches crime the front of the hood. It took out all of the up / down "shake" when you opened the hood. It basically made both hinges work together to raise the hood. I didn't take a picture of it (that I can find) and you couldn't do this on a restored car, but it was good "re-engineering".