Buick Starting and Battery Woes

jmotes

Have a question: I moved to Milwaukee for work. Shipped my 1947 Super from TX and it arrived with a dead battery. The truck driver offloaded it and then he jumped it with a 12 volt charger. I wasn't happy about it, but couldn't leave it on the side of the road in the area I'm living until we close on a house. The battery died again as soon as I got it into the garage. Bought a charger, the charger broke down before charging the battery. Bought a new battery, put it in and now the car doesn't seem to fire. Starter sound okay, but no start. Could the 12 volt jump screwed up anything that I should think about replacing?

Another thought. I believe the 40s buicks had a safety feature that routed the generator through the ingnition. If the brushes were worn down, the car would not start. Could this be the issue with the dead battery and now the failure to start?

Jim, you indicate "starter sounds ok" . So starter is engaging. The circuit you are asking about is in the starting circuit to prevent the starter operating while engine is running.

Jumping with 12v SHOULD hurt nothing. Pull the aircleaner off the carb. Look into the top of carb. operate the throttle linkage by hand. See a squirt of gas?. If no, drop a tablespoon full or therabouts of gas into the carb. Try starting. It started then died.? You have a problem somewhere between tank and carb. It did not start?? Pull the coil wire/cable out of the top of the distributor, hold the distributor end about 1/2 inch from the engine. Have someone engage the starter. There should be a spark jumping from the wire to the engine.

Le us know the results.

Ben

Archived