Sign in to follow this  
HeyPop

"A" input needed

Finally got brave enough to take the 29 out of the driveway to see how it handled. It ran fine through the yard during test runs while restoring her but about a half mile up the road (back country road)it started to die. Drifted her off of the main part of the road and restarted it and drove it back to the garage OK. Sound like starvation? This is my first attempt at restoration and I "rebuilt" the carb myself. I'm planning on yanking the carb and checking the float level and making sure I've got good flow down the pipe from the tank. Any other suggestions? rolleyes.gif" border="0

Check the gas sediment bowl on the firewall for rust. If you haven't installed one of those screens in the sediment bowl you should to prevent getting rust and dirt in the gas line.

I agree with 1937hd45 on checking the gas tank and installing a screen in the sediment bowl. Seems that Model A Fords are great for accumulating crud in the tank. <P>When we bought our 1931 Deluxe Tudor, the car had not been run for probably 12 or more years. One of the problems we had was it would run fine for miles, then the engine would quietly die. I knew it was probably crud in thew tank. I also knew that I had to pull the tank out and clean and seal it. <P>However, until the time that I could pull the tank out, I made sure I carried an old football pump along and kept a 1/2 inch open end wrench in the tool bag. The football pump had a plastic fitting for inflating things like pool toys. Whenever the engine decided to die, I would drift it to the side of the road and open the hood. I would remove the line at the carb with the 1/2 inch wrench, put the football pump against the opening in the line and give it one of two good pumps.<P>It evidently blew back the crud from the outlet in the tank and the car started and could be many miles before it happened again.<BR>Got me home many times until I had a opportunity to pull the gas tank.<P>Pulling the tank isnt too difficult (just have to make sure you don't mess up the paint) and neither is cleaning. And it sure solves a lot of headaches down the road. <P>Meanwhile I can look to see if I still have my old football pump if you want. wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

I just reread my first post, and should have mentioned that you can place a screen in the gas shut off valve. These are available from all the A parts people. This wire screen standpipe allows you to draw gas from above any rust or silt that is inside the tank. I like the football pump sugestion,elimanates that gasoline after taste.

Screen above the shut off valve was one of the first things I installed once I brought the cowl assembly home from the meet last tear and saw how cruddy it was inside. I've taken it out only once since then to clean it. I pretty much 'cleaned' out the crap in the tank before I put it on the truck. I'm 99.9% sure that tank sediment isn't the problem. What rate of flow should I look for if I remove the line from the carb end and let it flow free? Since it's a 1/4" line I would supposed even thought it's gravity, I should have a pretty solid stream...I should probably rephrase that... rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>The carb was out in the weather with the line straight up in the air when I bought it. The guy I got it from even wanted to pour some gas down the line a start it for me. I said don't bother. I tore it down and soaked it for a while, blew out all the jets, etc. and got a rebuild kit from Renninger. That's about the extent of my 'rebuild' on the carb.<BR>Any member in the York area wanna take a ride someday and conduct a class on the Zenith?

Mike,<P>Take it over to Scwalm's Model A Engine Rebuilding and let Ora look at it for you. They moved the shop, are no longer in Paradise. They are closer to Strasburg at 332 Georgetown Road. Their phone number is (717) 687-6976.

Bruce...<BR> You may or may not remember 'I'm new to this hobby'. Just something to think about and probably grin.... "Think about what might happen when you use a radiator cap on a gas tank.... DUH. Seems after a while the gravity and the vacuum that forms from the lack of replacing the outgoing fuel with air causes the darn thing to just quit... DUH again. Works fine with the correct gas cap... so far rolleyes.gif" border="0